+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My canadian spouse cheated on me.... will i lose my pr

markythomas

Jul 13, 2014
Married in April 2012. PR received by Immigration in November 2012. PR accepted in October 2013.

Discovered my partner cheated on me after we got married. Have tried to make it work but the lies run deeper than that and the hurt is too much. Only thing is I was sponsored by my partner. Does this mean I will lose my PR if I left the relationship or divorce proceedings were undertaken?

I came here with a working visa first, before applying for PR, and so have been in this country since February 2012. We met while traveling and decided to make a go of it in Canada before we decided to get married. I have a highly skilled job at one of the largest Canada corporations, great friends and my home now is here. I also have distant relatives living nearby. I've read up on this a bit and it seems if this relationship does come to an end then it will mean I will have no choice but to leave the life I have built here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline in case anyone was wondering:
Met September 2011. Moved to Canada February 2012. Working visa from March 2012. Married in April 2012. PR received by Immigration in November 2012. PR accepted in October 2013.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
markythomas said:
Married in April 2012. PR received by Immigration in November 2012. PR accepted in October 2013.

Discovered my partner cheated on me after we got married. Have tried to make it work but the lies run deeper than that and the hurt is too much. Only thing is I was sponsored by my partner. Does this mean I will lose my PR if I left the relationship or divorce proceedings were undertaken?

I came here with a working visa first, before applying for PR, and so have been in this country since February 2012. We met while traveling and decided to make a go of it in Canada before we decided to get married. I have a highly skilled job at one of the largest Canada corporations, great friends and my home now is here. I also have distant relatives living nearby. I've read up on this a bit and it seems if this relationship does come to an end then it will mean I will have no choice but to leave the life I have built here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline in case anyone was wondering:
Met September 2011. Moved to Canada February 2012. Working visa from March 2012. Married in April 2012. PR received by Immigration in November 2012. PR accepted in October 2013.
Based on your timeline information you likely have Condition 51 on your COPR, which states you must cohabit with your spouse in a conjugal relationship for a minimum of 2 years following landing. If you and your spouse are going to split up, it is up to you and him/her to contact CIC and inform them of this split. It will then be up to CIC to decide the outcome of whether or not you can remain in Canada or if you must leave.

If you are indeed 'highly skilled' and such then you can always apply for PR based on your own merits if CIC decides that you should return to your originating country and return that way.

Your reasons for breaking up the marriage are going to be 'he said/she said' and hard for you to prove. If you truly want to work on your marriage and you value your spouse, then try counseling. While things might look bleak now, they can be worked out if one truly wants that.

markythomas

Jul 13, 2014
Thanks that insight is something to give me guidance at least.

We tried seeing someone for a while. We also gave it a go for a while and I tried my best. But the trust for me is gone. It isnt the same by a long shot. I feel like Ive lost what I had and staying now seems like I'm just going through the paces. Being cheated in previous relationships as well just makes it that much more hurtful, and harder to just let go.

I have letters and documents to prove what happened as well as evidence of numerous marriage counselor sessions. The letters are emails sent to and from each other during the time when I first found out. There are a lot of them and outline the episode in great detail from my spouses part, as I struggled to understand why, as I wanted to know what happened in attempt to salvage the relationship.

I could apply for PR but it would mean leaving and spending years trying to get back. Years which would mean I lose my job, home and would have to rebuild my life when I got back, as well as set myself back up during my time away. It seems pretty upsetting when I think about it seeing as my life now is here and I have done nothing wrong to lose it.

niana.j

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello markythomas...first of all it takes gut to be a realist and hats off to you sir.you know the relationship is over and you want to move on...it looks like you are on conditional pr..and you might have to play the game....lay low and wait till 2015 when your conditional pr is over..and then make your next move.

of course you can make your next move NOW and tell cic what is happening...but who plays by the rules???? cic is a conservative pos racket!...

the powers that be dont care about you and me...its already 2014..let the time elapse..and make your next move..dont be a victim..strike back! :mad:

markythomas said:
Thanks that insight is something to give me guidance at least.

We tried seeing someone for a while. We also gave it a go for a while and I tried my best. But the trust for me is gone. It isnt the same by a long shot. I feel like Ive lost what I had and staying now seems like I'm just going through the paces. Being cheated in previous relationships as well just makes it that much more hurtful, and harder to just let go.

I have letters and documents to prove what happened as well as evidence of numerous marriage counselor sessions. The letters are emails sent to and from each other during the time when I first found out. There are a lot of them and outline the episode in great detail from my spouses part, as I struggled to understand why, as I wanted to know what happened in attempt to salvage the relationship.

I could apply for PR but it would mean leaving and spending years trying to get back. Years which would mean I lose my job, home and would have to rebuild my life when I got back, as well as set myself back up during my time away. It seems pretty upsetting when I think about it seeing as my life now is here and I have done nothing wrong to lose it.

turntopage47

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
I thought Condition 51 was for those who applied on or after October 25, 2012.
Or am I thinking of something else?

Talking to a lawyer is a great idea.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
turntopage47 said:
I thought Condition 51 was for those who applied on or after October 25, 2012.
Or am I thinking of something else?

Talking to a lawyer is a great idea.
per the OP post, her package was received in November 2012, AFTER the date condition 51 started.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Very sad turn of events, but speak to an experienced immigration lawyer first. No one knows exactly how CIC will handle cases with condition 51 wherein the marriage breaks down for reasons you've described. But a lawyer should be able to at least advice on what to do next. As long as you are a permanent resident, you have that status until CIC says you no longer have it.

If you see a lawyer, consider asking these questions as well:
1. if you loose your PR(worst case scenario), can you re-apply for permanent residence within Canada(i.e. without leaving the country) under Humaritarian and Compassionate (H & C) grounds?
2. can you get a temporary resident permit(different from a temporary resident visa) to enable you stay in Canada while you process the in-Canada PR?
3. Will having a great job, being skilled, having contributed(and still are) to economy, establishing ties, having friends, etc help your case? Your friends can write letters of support.
4. Ask if cheating constitutes some kind of abuse.

markythomas

Jul 13, 2014
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. The thought of my next move is making me feel slightly less noxious, after reading these suggestions. Great help.