+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSP for my baby and the vaccinations.

jrxstyper

Jan 1, 2015
Hello Folks, my name is Yohan.
I currently reside in Korea and Im moving to Vancouver in summer for work.
My wife is a pregnant and she is due in July.
I will probably leave Korea in early August. My wife and the baby will join me about a month later.
So here I have two questions.
1) Can I apply MSP for my baby before she comes Vancouver?
2) Even if I were able to apply my baby's MSP a month prior to her arrival, she still has two months of waiting period. My baby will be a month old and she will need to take many vaccinations without MSP in Vancouver for about 2 months. Polio vaccination, pneumonia vaccination, anti-hepatitis inoculation, and so on.... She needs 9 Vaccinations before 3 months old. She can take 3 of them in Korea, but she needs to take 6 remaining vaccinations in Vancouver without MSP.
I wonder how much the cost would be like.
Thank you guys!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know you can not apply for MSP for people who haven't landed yet. Because the waiting time in BC is 2 months plus the balance of the third, it is important to cut the waiting time by having them arrive at the end of August rather than in the beginning of Sept. That way, they will be covered on Nov. 1st rather than Dec. 1st.

According to http://www.immunizebc.ca/ask-us/questions/if-i-do-not-have-bc-medical-coverage-what-cost there is no cost for routine infant vaccinations even if you don't have MSP as long as you get them done at your local public health clinic.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jrxstyper said:
I will probably leave Korea in early August. My wife and the baby will join me about a month later.
On an unrelated note, will your wife be travelling alone from Korea to Canada? Doing a 13+ hour flight with a 2-month old baby can be a complete nightmare, especially if just 1 parent is traveling with the baby. You should really consider trying to arrange for you to fly together so you can help each other on the plane.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another thing, make sure you have travel insurance (emergency and accident coverage) for yourself and your family during the MSP waiting time. I recently saw another post where the poster is out $10,000 because of his daughters emergency while she was not yet covered under provincial health care. You may think nothing will happen for a couple of months but it can and it can get expensive.

jrxstyper

Jan 1, 2015
Thank you Folks.
that's a great news about the vaccinations.
Yes, I am going back to Korea during weekends and travel with my wife and the baby. Thank you.
And thank you for letting me know about travel insurance. Can you please give me more information about the travel insurance?
where and when can I apply?
Thank you! :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jrxstyper said:
Thank you Folks.
that's a great news about the vaccinations.
Yes, I am going back to Korea during weekends and travel with my wife and the baby. Thank you.
And thank you for letting me know about travel insurance. Can you please give me more information about the travel insurance?
where and when can I apply?
Thank you! :)
You can research some prices/plans of Canadian travel insurance companies here: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada