+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSc Chemistry VS Diploma from NAIT

khkhkhkh

May 1, 2012
Hi,
I have two options for studies.

1. M.Sc. Chemistry from Memorial University St John's NL.

OR

2. Power Engineering Technology / Instrumentation Engineering Technology from NAIT EDMONTON.

I am bit confused with respect to job opportunity after any of the above.

Which one will find me a job easily? Diploma or MSc Chemistry?

I already have Master in Chemistry from Sweden but have to do a degree from Canada to find a job and apply for PR.

Please help.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
i'm a potential immigrant myself, but i've been intensively searching for jobs through canada and i've come to realize that engineering is a field that can help you secure a job quite easily. i think chemistry would provide you a better position in one of the many oil companies in the country, but they're usually north.
of course i might just be talking bs as i'm still jobless. when i start school again i'll choose something different, i won't look into BA programs.
i do know that in some provinces, namely bc, the school has to be accredited so that you can later qualify for the provincial nominee program.
hope i didn't confuse you more...

khkhkhkh

May 1, 2012
canadiara said:
i'm a potential immigrant myself, but i've been intensively searching for jobs through canada and i've come to realize that engineering is a field that can help you secure a job quite easily. i think chemistry would provide you a better position in one of the many oil companies in the country, but they're usually north.
of course i might just be talking bs as i'm still jobless. when i start school again i'll choose something different, i won't look into BA programs.
i do know that in some provinces, namely bc, the school has to be accredited so that you can later qualify for the provincial nominee program.
hope i didn't confuse you more...
Thanks a lot for you input.
I think NAIT EDMONTON is accredited by ALBERTA.
I am confused a lot , whether will it be a good decision to leave MSc and join Diploma program in Engineering?
I don't have good idea about job opportunities for CHEMISTS in Canada.
Also, I already have MSc in Chemistry form Sweden.
I know that Engineering has lot of scope and also it is in Skill Shortage List (Federal Immigration).
People have mixed opinion about job opportunities for Chemistry Graduates.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
i know you're worried about leaving a better credential for a lower one, msc for a diploma. how about phd? if you get accepted in a phd program you could get permanent residence in canada. have you checked the oil companies and their positions for chemists? is your undergraduate degree in chemistry as well or is it something different? maybe you could combine them. or look for a masters in engineering or chemical engineering (i don't know if there's something like that).
my husband is a computer technician and he's looking into electronics and electronic engineering programs, close to what he knows, but slightly different and also with job potential.
also, look into the co-op programs, if you opt for a diploma, they will help you put your foot into a company and if they like you you're in with a job that you like as well, win-win situation i'd say. we've looked into nait's programs and they have co-ops.

khkhkhkh

May 1, 2012
canadiara said:
i know you're worried about leaving a better credential for a lower one, msc for a diploma. how about phd? if you get accepted in a phd program you could get permanent residence in canada. have you checked the oil companies and their positions for chemists? is your undergraduate degree in chemistry as well or is it something different? maybe you could combine them. or look for a masters in engineering or chemical engineering (i don't know if there's something like that).
my husband is a computer technician and he's looking into electronics and electronic engineering programs, close to what he knows, but slightly different and also with job potential.
also, look into the co-op programs, if you opt for a diploma, they will help you put your foot into a company and if they like you you're in with a job that you like as well, win-win situation i'd say. we've looked into nait's programs and they have co-ops.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts.
Yes, My Undergrad is also in Chemistry.
I don't want to go for PhD as it takes almost 5 years and I am not passionate about research. Although, it will get me PR but I will be getting a small amount of scholarship (1500$) for almost 4 years. Also my seniors guys at MUN (Memorial University) say that the Master is enough to get into work and it makes life difficult once you have PhD to find work in industry.
I am thinking to compliment my previous Master with an Engineering Diploma that may get me into job soon I finish studies.
Yes, you are right. COOP programs will help a lot. I have found only one with 3 weeks COOP (Chemical Engineering Technology). Most programs like Power Engineering don't have COOP, but this is the highest paid profession according to salary table given by NAIT.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
well then, i'd say go ahead with the diploma in power engineering. there's no point in doing the same thing just because it's in a different country. it's chemistry, it's the same all over the world! also chemical engineering could be a little bit different but still easy given your background.
again, i'm trying to help you bounce off your ideas. i'm no expert. i only have one and only advice, do not throw away you career just for the sake of immigrating to canada. believe me it's not worth the psychological stress you will go through.
i wish i could help you more...

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
Hi mr newbie,

I have done my MEngg from UofA Edmonton...first things first....higher education in Canada pays and always pays....they are more like britishers in their out look here....NAIT Power engg is the a place where all DESI idiots land up for reasons best known to them.....they are plain raving stupid....if you are good at chemistry....then pursue that....I hope you have seen 3 idiots....go by that....think what you will do for the rest of your life...and what you love to do.....NAIT power engineering is for mostly....diploma type guys....rest is your decision....Chemical Engineering sure is a way out....but all engg programs are ball breakers....even mine was......so if you are upto the challenge then do it.....