+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mrry Grilfiriend then what? Please Help!

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello:
We are trying to decide what to do. I have a south african girlfriend... we are going to apply for a visitors visa so she can come visit me for three months.... We are not sure whether to marry in Canada or South Africa....
Can we get married in Canada then start an outland PR? How do we go about it? any idea how long it takes....
We just thought that we still want to be together for awhile before we marry so we thought a visitors visa would be best just stating she is a friend for now.... Then in Canada we could wed.... as her boss has given her a leave of absence letter although she will not have a job to return to... so another visitors visa or and extension is probably out of the question... Since she is a first time traveler we don't know if she will get a multiple entry visa... We are trying to keep our costs as low as possible... Eventually we would like to split our time up between South Africa and Canada....

So any suggestions for a couple that want to be together, and not completely sure how to go about it? and don't really want to be apart for long periods of time..

thanks

I.N

Feb 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 07 2011
Doc's Request.
19 10 2011
AOR Received.
14 11 2011
File Transfer...
08 11 2011
Med's Request
new chest x-ray requested for the medical extension on 20 August
Med's Done....
23 06 2011
Interview........
23 July 2012
Passport Req..
9 October 2012
VISA ISSUED...
16 October 2012
LANDED..........
2 November 2012
Hello,

First, if your girfriend dosen't have tides for her home country will be difficult to get a visitor visa for three months.

Sencond, it's hard to say what happens next, another solution will be maybe you try to get a study visa, that it's a good option, she could study while you two live together and get to know what really want into this relatioship.

Keep it at distance it's the most difficult relationship ever, but if you really love each other you are going to make it! :)

Best of luck!

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Well she meets their criteria... she has a job that she has gotten leave from, She has two children which she adores that are in school in south africa, and all of her family and friends are there.... isn't that ties enough...

We went to a travel agent today and applied for a 5.5 month visitors visa, with her house certificate, an invitational letter, a letter from her for her reasons on wanting to come to Canada and her reasons for not wanting to stay in Canada and my bank statements.... we will see what happens.... In my letter i said i would take full responsibility for her finances and make sure she leaves the country well before her visa expires... I am sure my bank statement will reflect that I can handle the financial part.....The lady doing our visa said she has never had one rejected and felt confident ours would pass.... but who knows...

thanks for your input...
I would appreciate any other opinions

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Dinto said:
Hello:
We are trying to decide what to do. I have a south african girlfriend... we are going to apply for a visitors visa so she can come visit me for three months.... We are not sure whether to marry in Canada or South Africa....
Can we get married in Canada then start an outland PR? How do we go about it? any idea how long it takes....
We just thought that we still want to be together for awhile before we marry so we thought a visitors visa would be best just stating she is a friend for now.... Then in Canada we could wed.... as her boss has given her a leave of absence letter although she will not have a job to return to... so another visitors visa or and extension is probably out of the question... Since she is a first time traveler we don't know if she will get a multiple entry visa... We are trying to keep our costs as low as possible... Eventually we would like to split our time up between South Africa and Canada....

So any suggestions for a couple that want to be together, and not completely sure how to go about it? and don't really want to be apart for long periods of time..

thanks
Well, I guess the good news is that you got the application going for a tourist visa, and the agent feels positive that it will be approved, but I wish you had waited until you got a bit more input here before submitting that, because my first question would have been whether the children were included on that application. If not, I would highly recommend that you NOT get married when she gets here - because she won't get back into Canada again on a temporary visa after you marry - and the bad news is that Pretoria (the embassy that assessed South African nationals) takes 23 months to assess spousal PR applications. My advice to you would have been to try to get your lady and her children into Canada and then, once you're married, apply to sponsor them via the in-Canada process which only takes 18 months (and after the first year of assessment she'd have a work permit and they'd have study permits as their temporary status until things were finalized). If you've only applied for her to come now, then she will have to go back again and your only chance of getting her and the children back into Canada will be to hold off on the wedding. The good news is that by going back when she's supposed to, she'll be better able to prove next time that she is willing to comply and that should help her maybe get another TRV, and then bring the kids, later on. If you're not in a hurry to marry, and it sounds like you're wanting to be certain about things, that might be your best option.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
Why should this person who wants to make their own decision feel they should wait for an answer from here before proceeding with making their own decisions?

Sure they may have asked a question, but if they didn't wait what difference does that make to a forum?

The decision made, as in every one of the questions asked or answered here, is ultimately up to the person.

If anyone makes a decision solely on information provided at this forum rather than researching on their own or seeking other advice - that's just a bit scarey don't you think?

Best of luck to you Dinto whatever way things come out for you!

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Well i don't know if this makes a difference but her children do not want to come to Canada at this point...how would that effect her chances of getting another visitors visa...I don't understand?

thanks

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
I don't understand What having kids has to do with it? Especially if the children do not want to come to Canada? could you elaborate for me ... would be much appreciated...