+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MP congratulatory letter/Election Canada letter

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
About a week after I got my citizenship, I moved to a different riding, and my new MP sent me the certificate and the congratulatory letter about 3-4 months after I moved to the new place. It's a nice thing to have, but I doubt it has any legal significance (though I wonder how much more of a hard time I would be given at the border if I present this certificate instead of a passport or the actual citizenship certificate).
Good to hear. Did you have to call the MP's office / congratulatory letter arrived without you asking for it?

As for entering Canada, I think this letter won't suffice for an immediate admission. You may be taken to secondary for identity verification. Moreover, airlines won't allow you to board the plane without a passport / other travel document.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Good to hear. Did you have to call the MP's office / congratulatory letter arrived without you asking for it?

As for entering Canada, I think this letter won't suffice for an immediate admission. You may be taken to secondary for identity verification. Moreover, airlines won't allow you to board the plane without a passport / other travel document.
I did not have to bug them to send the letter. They sent me about 3 monmonths after I moved to the new riding. I wonder how they came to know though, maybe they the information from ServiceOntario?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I've gotten two in the last month. My oath was in march. One of them actually arrived signature required, which threw me off. Not sure why I received two and I'm actually hoping no more arrive. Where will I put them all? Two different MP's. Must be something to do with my particular address being close to the border of two ridings? Who knows. *shrugs*

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I did receive a congratulatory letter from my MP a couple days ago, dated Sep 17. I had oath on Jun 29. It talked about a reception in Parliament Hill, a tour there and seems there's some sort of certificate to give me as well. Sounds very nice but it's gonna be in the middle of a work day so I probably won't be able to go. :(

Anyone got one of those certificates? What are those for, except being a nice souvenir?

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I did receive a congratulatory letter from my MP a couple days ago, dated Sep 17. I had oath on Jun 29. It talked about a reception in Parliament Hill, a tour there and seems there's some sort of certificate to give me as well. Sounds very nice but it's gonna be in the middle of a work day so I probably won't be able to go. :(

Anyone got one of those certificates? What are those for, except being a nice souvenir?
I am from Ottawa, I got congratulatory letter from my MP in September, around five months after my citizenship ceremony, without explicitly asking for it. I just check-marked the appropriate box in the citizenship application.

It is a very nice hard cover portfolio featuring Parliament coat of arms, including two sheets - first is a congratulatory letter where MP congratulates and offers her assistance when I deal with federal government services. Second document is a heavily decorated certificate commemorating citizenship that you can frame and put on a wall.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I am from Ottawa, I got congratulatory letter from my MP in September, around five months after my citizenship ceremony, without explicitly asking for it. I just check-marked the appropriate box in the citizenship application.

It is a very nice hard cover portfolio featuring Parliament coat of arms, including two sheets - first is a congratulatory letter where MP congratulates and offers her assistance when I deal with federal government services. Second document is a heavily decorated certificate commemorating citizenship that you can frame and put on a wall.
Interesting. I'll debate some more on going or not. Thanks for the info!

vanheartyvr

Mar 9, 2018
Turns out I did receive a letter and certificate congratulating me few days after my post here. And later an invite to linch with new citizens. A classy thing to do and brilliant campaign strategy, as we have mayor election soon here (candidates for counsuller were there) and federal election next year. I particularly like my MP (followed his work even before being a citizen) and would vote for him regardless the free lunch if he runs again.