+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving years after landing

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hello All,

I'm looking for advice on how to handle the import of my belongings.
Spouse and I got PR in 2017 and we landed from US to Van on a short visit. At that time the officers at the airport did not stamp our goods to follow list because we didn't have assessment for jewelry.
Now after almost 3 years we are planning of finally moving (with baby) to Montreal. I'm worried if we will be able to take any of our belongings without paying duty. We will be driving this time but will also have movers to bring the furniture and boxes.

1) Has anyone been in a similar situation?
2) Our furniture & even electronics are pretty old now and we may have purchase receipts of some of the items. Do they charge duty on old items too? What about moving boxes? How do they evaluate items packed in boxes?

Thanks!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You can get your goods to follow processed when you enter by car and then use that to get your good imported. I believe you need to give a copy of your GTF to your movers and you pretty much could enter whatever you want in it.

But if you are moving around this time ,you should be able to justify (either for job or relocating permanently) your entry to CBSA and how you plan to quarantine for 14 days.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
You can get your goods to follow processed when you enter by car and then use that to get your good imported. I believe you need to give a copy of your GTF to your movers and you pretty much could enter whatever you want in it.

But if you are moving around this time ,you should be able to justify (either for job or relocating permanently) your entry to CBSA and how you plan to quarantine for 14 days.
Thanks. I just wanted to check if i can still get my goods to follow processed since i did my official "landing" back in 2017 and at that time i did not get a GTF list stamped.