+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Quebec after PR through FSW

TheDude89

Mar 25, 2023
So, I got PR a year ago through FSW. I've been living in Toronto since I got here 3 years ago, I work as a software developer for a company that allows remote work.

Frankly Toronto isn't working out for me anymore. My job is fine and all but I'm just not sure I like what this city is like. I've visited Montréal a couple of times and I've always loved it. I've been thinking about moving there and I'm wondering if this is doable given my current situation.

I know if you have PR you can live, work or study anywhere, but can you really when it comes to Quebec?

Like I want to apply for citizenship one day and if I were to move there would they ask me questions about what I'm doing there without a CSQ? Is RAMQ going to be an issue? Like my job is technically based in Ontario, and even if it's remote I can't really say I moved there because of that. I want to move because I just want to try something different.

For the record, I speak French fluently as well, so that's not an issue.

I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice or failing that if there are any lawyers I could talk to about my situation.

Reactions: akaur13

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, I got PR a year ago through FSW. I've been living in Toronto since I got here 3 years ago, I work as a software developer for a company that allows remote work.

Frankly Toronto isn't working out for me anymore. My job is fine and all but I'm just not sure I like what this city is like. I've visited Montréal a couple of times and I've always loved it. I've been thinking about moving there and I'm wondering if this is doable given my current situation.

I know if you have PR you can live, work or study anywhere, but can you really when it comes to Quebec?

Like I want to apply for citizenship one day and if I were to move there would they ask me questions about what I'm doing there without a CSQ? Is RAMQ going to be an issue? Like my job is technically based in Ontario, and even if it's remote I can't really say I moved there because of that. I want to move because I just want to try something different.

I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice or failing that if there are any lawyers I could talk to about my situation.
You lived in Ontario for a year after PR so there is no doubt that you weren’t trying to settle in Quebec when applying and receiving PR. No issue moving to Quebec. You’ll be a Quebec taxpayer so you‘ll qualify for RAMQ if you meet the residency requirements required to receive RAMQ. Apply for RAMQ when you move to Quebec permanently. OHIP will cover you for the first 3 months and then your RAMQ coverage will start. Programs are slightly different so would read up on RAMQ.

CTB

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023

long story short you should have no problems..

Technically once you have PR you have the same rights as any other PR holder from a federal perspective and can move where you want.. the grey area is that you were chosen by your province to contribute to that province

That said if you've had PR in that province for 3 years and want to move that's fine. it would be very very hard for them to argue that you only chose Ontario to get PR and then move on..

You're allowed to live your life.