+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Georgia, US - Getting a Driver's License

RocketReach

May 31, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen moving to Georgia on TN. Does anyone know if I will have to take a written and driving test to get my DL in the State of Georgia? Or would I be able to have reciprocity and get the GA DL that way?

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen moving to Georgia on TN. Does anyone know if I will have to take a written and driving test to get my DL in the State of Georgia? Or would I be able to have reciprocity and get the GA DL that way?

Thanks!
Ask on a US immigration forum.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
You navigated how to get your Canadian citizenship, then shortly thereafter ( not even a year ) navigated how to get your TN because of your newly claimed citizenship, positive you’ll be able to navigate how to get your DL in the United States

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
They will not exchange, they will tell you to take a written test, take a short drive test and you will get new Georgia license. I had full Canadian license before I moved to California for school. Although online resources tell you it can be exchanged but the people working at DMV are not well informed. I didn't bother much, took the drive test the same day and got full California license. They didn't even keep my Ontario License with them. The drive test in US is real easy and straight forward unlike Canada, where they fail a lot of people. May be they want people to drive very very carefully in Canada. But they have some of the highest insurances, indicating high claims rate, which is opposite to the purpose of strict drive test.
I think only Washington state recognizes BC license and let you exchange. Canada doesn't matter to all other states.

I was able to transfer my insurance experience with no issues and got reduced insurance.

msaurora

Mar 21, 2023
Please advise how did it go?! I am in the same situation and need some guidance.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

RocketReach

May 31, 2021
Please advise how did it go?! I am in the same situation and need some guidance.
Georgia will not allow you to convert a Canadian DL. They seem to only have reciprocity with South Korea. You'll have to take all aspects of the driving test again.

I previously had a Florida DL (now expired) so I renewed it using my current Ontario DL because Florida does have reciprocity with Canadian provinces. I then used my renewed Florida DL to obtain my Georgia DL without having to complete any testing. Georgia will transfer a license from another state, but not Canadian provinces.