+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada

Veelia11

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hey guys!

I just recently received my Port-Graduation Work Permit in August (after finishing my studies at McGill University) and now I want to move all of my things from the US to Canada (I didn't need them at McGill because I didn't have my own place). I've got a job now and a new apartment, and I'm ready to move my things from VT (where all my things are in a storage unit... long story) to Montreal. I'm planning on renting a U-Haul and moving my things at the end of the month, when we can move into our new apartment.

Information About Me:
Post-Graduation Work Permit: Valid August 2014 -- April 2015
Currently recently employed and working in Montreal.
Currently signed a lease for a new apartment with quebecois partner (in Laval).
Living with my quebecois partner IN SAINT-JEROME at our old apartment (his place).

I've researched for the most part what I'll need to do, but I just want some specifics on questions that I have about the process.

My Questions:
1) By detailed inventory list, what do they mean? My belongings are already pre-packaged and I'd hate to have to unpack and then inventory, and then re-pack everything just to get a detailed list of every exact thing in each exact box. Right now they're organized by topic, for example I have "Box 1" marked on the box itself, and then on a list I have "Box 1 -- Kitchen Utensils and Bowl, "Box 2 -- Bathroom Products and Rug", etc.

2) When it says I need to put the value for everything... does it really want me to estimate the value for each spoon in my box? Or just general value per box?

3) How long does the process usually take at the border? Do they open each and every box?

4) What will I need besides my work permit? Do I need to fill out or file any other forms? Before arriving at the border?

5) Will the shortness of my work permit be a problem? I'm planning to extend (and eventually live in Canada/apply for PR with my partner).

I'm looking for any/all the information you can give me as an American citizen crossing the Canadian border (with a valid Work Permit) to Canada.

Thanks!!!

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think and you already have the answer, they may not ask all in detail but you will have to be prepare to avoid any issue with them it all depends on the staff present at that time.

luckyBoy

Star Member
May 3, 2014
Veelia11,

Hope u have already figured out, how to ship ur things from US to Canda, even I may need to move all similar stuff this december from California to Fort St John BC, Could you please tell me the cheapest way to ship house hold goods. Thanks in advance.