+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada without work experience

sonnabend

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Paris
I am actually still an undergraduate, but have my eyes set on Canada as a place to immigrate to. I have read many people saying that their years of experience, even as a high-ranking managers or other high paying role, was pretty much useless after they came to Canada because most of the employers required a CANADIAN working experience.
So I have been wondering, how if I just move to Canada right after my graduation without a work experience, since if I have to start from bottom even if I have years of foreign experience anyway.
No point in wasting time getting work experience because once I reach Canada, I'll be working at the same rank as people with years of foreign work experience, isn't it?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You can either move to Canada on a student visa to study, on a federal skilled worker program if you have at least a year experience in NOC 0, A or B or you can move on IEC if you are a national of a country that has that reciprocal agreement with Canada or you can marry a Canadian.

You need work experience for federal skilled worker and Canadian experience class to qualify for express entry. For marriage and study, you don't need work experience.

If you have some very special skill that nobody else in Canada has it, you can find an employer who will offer you a work permit.

sonnabend

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Paris
Thanks for the reply, but I think you didn't really understand my question; or maybe I didn't phrase it clearly.

Put it simply, let's assume I CAN move to Canada by a certain means (maybe marriage, refugee, or whatever; that's beside the point), but I have no work experience at all. Would I be at a disadvantage in my search of employment once I land in Canada?
I'm assuming I won't, because most employers only take into account Canadian working experience.
So am I right to conclude that an immigrant who has a 10-year foreign experience in a high paying job will NOT have any advantages over immigrant who has zero working experience?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
They do prefer Canadian experience but Canada is very immigrant friendly and they do consider overseas work experience depending on the industry. May be the immigrant has to go a step or 2 lower but surely not from the bottom.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sonnabend said:
Would I be at a disadvantage in my search of employment once I land in Canada?
I'm assuming I won't, because most employers only take into account Canadian working experience.
So am I right to conclude that an immigrant who has a 10-year foreign experience in a high paying job will NOT have any advantages over immigrant who has zero working experience?
Yes, you would still be at a disadvantage with zero work experience.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
sonnabend said:
Not in my case.. when I came to Canada from Europe, I continued on the same level as when I left and have since moved up the ladder even higher.

There is no one size fits all scenario..

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
There is a spot for anyone that wants to work. You might not get a CEO position but I expect you would not be able where you are from either. Good luck

hsinxh

May 20, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016 (Upfront)
Passport Req..
14-March-2017
NetMecca said:
There is a spot for anyone that wants to work. You might not get a CEO position but I expect you would not be able where you are from either. Good luck
:D

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sonnabend said:
Thanks for the reply, but I think you didn't really understand my question; or maybe I didn't phrase it clearly.

Put it simply, let's assume I CAN move to Canada by a certain means (maybe marriage, refugee, or whatever; that's beside the point), but I have no work experience at all. Would I be at a disadvantage in my search of employment once I land in Canada?
It depends on which country your education was from. If it was from the U.S., you'll be ok. If it was from somewhere else, you may struggle.