+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada on TRV - 403b

MNA2015

Star Member
Aug 15, 2015
Hi all,

I'm waiting for PR. My employment in the US is up in March. I'm planning to travel to Canada to visit my husband on TRV. I'm completely confused as to what I should do with my 403b. Should I cash out and pay the penalty?. Any helpful suggestions?.

Many thanks

M

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
I retired with a 403b and will move to Canada this summer. My financial consultant moved the money without penalty to another investment account to avoid maintenance fees. If I have to do anything with that money after I move to Canada I must cross the border to the US to sign paperwork if needed. My finance guy said just cross the border and go to a fax machine say at an office store or hotel, he will fax, I will sign and fax back.

MNA2015

Star Member
Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, i cannot cross border because i'm a non-resident alien in the US. I will need US visa to be able to enter again. My work visa expires and i'm planning to visit my husband in the meantime in Canada while i wait for PR. One option is to convert into an IRA but they need a valid US address to be able to create one. If i may ask, when you say that financial consultant was able to move money to another investment account, did he move into an IRA/ Roth IRA?. or move into a different investment provider account?.

Many thanks.

M

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
He moved it to another investment that I had. I already had a traditional Ira and a Roth but the other investment was diversified and doing better.
Some people use a company that provides US addresses. They give you an address, not a po box, receive your mail, open it and scan it to you, or if you prefer they just mail it to you unopened. I don't have one but I heard about it and did a Google search to read about it.