+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada on PR and sponsoring spouse while RO not met

canadapr2590

Jan 17, 2023
Hello,

I got my canadian PR in June 2019 and after the initial soft landing back then (for 3 days) I returned back and haven't been in Canada at all. My PR card expires in June 2024.

1. If I want to move to Canada in June 2023, is there any preferred border/POE through which I should go (via land in a private car vs flying through an airport with automatic kiosk) to reduce the risk of secondary inspection by CBSA and questions about RO not being met?
2. I got married in Feb 2023, my spouse currently has visitor visa to Canada (till 2026). I understand that sponsoring her is not an option once/if I am allowed into Canada without being reported as I run the risk of my case being opened by IRCC and cancellation of my PR at that point. However, would it be an issue if she independently applies for PR (where she will have to mention my details on her application)? Could this also trigger a review of my profile and potentially cause any issues leading to cancellation of my PR?
3. If she applies for a work or student visa and provides any information about me (as her spouse) on the forms, will that result in an inquiry on my status and a check of my RO?

I ask questions 2 & 3 mainly so I can see if it's worth it for me to move on my PR (which still has over a year of validity) and if allowed in Canada without issues then just stay there for couple years straight so I can apply for PR renewal while my wife also tries to move there independently without my sponsorship through student visa, work permit or her own PR (if she gets it). If any of these routes will lead to a look by IRCC into my profile and they determine at that point that RO is not met, by which time I would have been well settled in Canada for a few months, it would make sense for me to explore some other route or give up my PR and start fresh.

Thanks in advance for your answers/advice.