+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving To Canada From United States

InnocentCat

Aug 29, 2007
I want to move to Canada (Saint John, New Brunswick to be exact) to be with my partner. How do I go about getting a work visa so I can work in Canada ? From what I have read you have to have so many points so you can be approved to submit your application. It seems a plus if I can have an offer of employment before I get there. Has anyone have any information on this ? I am pretty new to this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You'll need to get a job offer from a Canadian employer. The employer then needs a labor market opinion (LMO), saying essentially that giving the job to a foreigner will not adversely affect the Canadian workforce.

With those two things, you can apply for a work permit.

InnocentCat

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for the response ! It sorta seems like one of those you cant get a visa unless you have a job and you cant get a job if you dont have a visa. I mean if I were an employer I dont think I would hire someone who is not even in the country yet let alone not in the city that they want to work. Is there a website, or do you know of employers, who would be receptive to someone in my situation ?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I think you're exactly right. But if you were in the position of the employer, you'd do the same thing. You'd be very skeptical of foreigners asking for a job offer, when you might already have local people you could hire.

I suggest you start your immigration process as soon as possible (do you qualify as a skilled worker?). At least that will put an absolute end date on your move. Then you can visit the area you're planning on moving to, and meet with some prospective employers. Maybe you'll get lucky.

InnocentCat

Aug 29, 2007
what actually is considered a 'skilled worker' ? what type of jobs ? I have been in customer service for 15+ years. would that type of work fall under a 'skilled worker' ?

I am so glad that I found this site. Its nice to have a person that you can ask a question to.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
A skilled worker is anyone who has experience in one of the following areas:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/noc.asp

Your eligibility to immigrate as a federal skilled worker is based on a points system. You need 67 points to qualify. The quick and dirty way to 67 points is if you have all of the following:

* a bachelor's degree (20 pts)
* English or French as your mother tongue (16 pts)
* 4 years of work experience in one of the job categories from the link above (21 pts)
* aged 21 to 49 (10 pts)

You can also get extra points if you have:

* ability in a second language (French or English)
* more than a bachelor's degree in education
* a close relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
* arranged employment in Canada

You'll also need to pass criminal and medical checks, and prove you have enough money available for the transition (CA$10,168 for 1 person).

You can get a free assessment here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-visa.htm

Note that it's neither required to use a lawyer, nor does it expedite your application.

InnocentCat

Aug 29, 2007
I doesn't seem that I am skilled in any on the areas mentioned at the link you provided. Let's say if I were interested in working in Wal-mart, a stock clerk, or customer service. What area would that likely fall under ?

Let me back up abit...maybe that will be on some help...

I want to move to New Brunswick to live with my partner...

* Physically that's easy enough...I have a passport and have been to Canada several times...
* I want to be able to earn income when I am there by whatever legal means I can...

So what is the best way to do this? Then I have thought of a back up plan...move to Maine..still work in the United States...and commute back and forth on the weekends. A bit of a hassle mind you...but it is an option.

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I'm currently in a similar situation. I'm an American citizen and my spouse is Canadian. After reading some discussions on this forum we decided that our best option would be to get married and to apply under the family category. We've been driving back and forth for the past two years and we're ready to live in the same country, but much like you, I want to earn income as well. So, we got married this past summer and we've just sent in our application. My husband is sponsoring me under the family class. It is faster if I apply outside of canada. I'm currently continuing my job until (hopefully) the paperwork goes through. You may want to consider marriage as an option.

HRIM

Aug 30, 2007
Hi Innocent Cat,

In regards to getting a job beforehand, it is very difficult. Most employers want to meet or talk before there is a tentative agreement. My suggestion is to get on job boards and start sending your resume out to as many employers in that city as possible that meet your experience and skills. Doesn't hurt to spend hours submitting as many as you can. This may work best for you. I would recommend starting with www.hrinmotion.com. There is a job board there, so start submitting. They also offer on-line job prep training. Other boards you may want to check are: Monster and workopolis.

Best of luck!

Resumeshop

Dec 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also be sure you have a resume and cover letter geared to the Canadian market. The last thing you should do is spend hours of time and lots of effort applying to jobs only to discover that your resume is inadequate. Remember to:

• Avoid providing personal details such as marital status, religion, number of children.
  • Limit your work history to roughly the last 10 years.
  • Include your most significant educational and professional accomplishments.
  • Quantify your accomplishments whenever possible.
  • Make it perfect! Avoid spelling and grammar mistakes at all costs!
  • Have your resume professionally written, or at least proof-read by a native speaker.
  • Entice the reader to want to invite you to an interview.
  • Make multiple resumes, depending on the types of positions you are applying for.
  • Format your resume so that it is easy to read