+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada: Can we ship other belongings that can't be carry-ons?

leech_barb

Mar 7, 2017
Hi all,

My family and I are moving to Canada by next month and were wondering... we have items we want to bring that we won't be practical to bring as carry-ons, such as books, extra clothes, our desktop computer and monitor. Would it be possible bring these as “to-follow” baggage? If so, what would be the procedures for it?

Many thanks!

Bry

andrews65

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2016
AOR Received.
11-10-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: 28-07-2016
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Hi, introductory information is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

Google "canada goods to follow" and you'll find further information on what you need to do.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andrews65 said:
Hi, introductory information is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

Google "canada goods to follow" and you'll find further information on what you need to do.
I don't think this helps.

Instead, you should tell OP that those items is possible to bring as "goods to follow". All he/she has to do is:

1) Call quotation for companies to deliver the items "door to door" or airlines as "air cargo"
2) Read the CBSA website and prepare a B4 form with an excel sheet to list out the items with estimate value
3) Upon arrival at a Canadian airport, hand in the B4 form with the excel sheet together with the declaration card received from the airplane to the CBSA officer
4) Make sure CBSA officer stamp your B4 form
5) In case you hired a door to door, upon clearing customs, you or your representative must attend at CBSA for clearing your goods.
6) Afterwards, you can schedule the delivery of the items with the company to your home.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
You will need to fill the BSF186 form, that is the replacement for the B4 forms. This is for declaring goods that you bring with you as well as goods that will follow.

You will have to submit 2 copies of the goods declaration form for declaring goods that you are bringing / will bring to Canada. This is to avoid customs duties in future. from feedback I am receiving from many newcomers, officers are not asking for the goods accompanying, but only for goods to follow.

BSF186 form link: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf
If you need extra lines, use the BSF186A form here: www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186a.pdf

On the form, you will see checkboxes to differntiate from goods accompanying and goods to follow. You also have the ability to attach shippers' manifests as well as your own lists of goods.

For all gold, jewellery and other precious items, you will need to attach photos and appraisals of value.
For all electronic devices, you will need to include serial nos. to identify the devices.

Do refer to the below CBSA memo for more detailed information on what you can and cannot import.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
In our case we prepared like 8 boxes, a friend sent it by courier form our original country and just have to go to the airport customs to declare there are personal belongings.

We did it being Temporary Workers, shortly after applying for PR.

jako

Star Member
Jun 27, 2016
Hello everyone,

I will be landing in Toronto on 5th of April. I need to move my belongings with me which include personal clothes and kitchen items. Some of these goods to be carried with me and the rest will be shipped by cargo. Need to know the following :

1) What forms should be used and how to be filled ?
2) What is the level of details i need to give.?
3) For the personal Mobiles , Ipads and Laptops should be mentioned in the goods to carry list or no need, since those items will be carried by hands.
4) for the currency I will be bringing :
50,000 CD as check draft and 4000 CD as cash. Do i need to declare the check draft only or check draft + cash?

Please advise ?

Thanks in advance

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
jako said:
Hello everyone,

I will be landing in Toronto on 5th of April. I need to move my belongings with me which include personal clothes and kitchen items. Some of these goods to be carried with me and the rest will be shipped by cargo. Need to know the following :

1) What forms should be used and how to be filled ?
See my post above
2) What is the level of details i need to give.?
Details like cost with pictures for valuable items like jewelry. Electronics with serial nos. Others can be general like clothes, personal effects, utensils etc.
3) For the personal Mobiles , Ipads and Laptops should be mentioned in the goods to carry list or no need, since those items will be carried by hands.
They will be in goods accompanying
4) for the currency I will be bringing :
50,000 CD as check draft and 4000 CD as cash. Do i need to declare the check draft only or check draft + cash?
This will be declared in the Declaration form given to you on your flight to Canada. Amounts over CAD 10,000 have to be declared.
See the sample of this here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Please advise ?

Thanks in advance

jako

Star Member
Jun 27, 2016
Thank you very much Hot2Cold,

Then in my case I will declare only the check draft(50K CD) only . Am i correct?

Do I need to fill the Declamation Card now , or later on the plane just before landing?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
jako said:
Thank you very much Hot2Cold,

Then in my case I will declare only the check draft(50K CD) only . Am i correct?

You just need to tick the box that asks if you have funds over CAD 10K. You don't need to actually tell them an amount. Since you are over the 10K mark tick the box.
It is always safer to just say yes if you are unsure and have a figure near the 10K mark.
Customs may ask to see the funds, so be prepared to show it.

Do I need to fill the Declamation Card now , or later on the plane just before landing?
No. The link I posted is just a specimen. The actual form fill be handed to you on the flight before landing in Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The poster will need to disclose the full amount eventually by filling a form at the airport or border.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Hi Hot2Cold, Thanks for the info above.
Could you shed some light on the following:

I want to bring in about 60kCAD immediately, and in the next few months a similar amount again as a part of a family asset dissolution that is scheduled for a future date at this point. Must I declare the second part (ball park value) in the "goods to follow list" ?

If yes, will I need documentation to support the claim?
Also, as you mentioned that any precious item that needs to be brought in - I show pictures of the same and valuation (can i put the same under the head of goods to follow as I won't be able to carry it all in one go?) This won't be an 'import package' ,it'll be me lugging them eventually.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AK_canada said:
Hi Hot2Cold, Thanks for the info above.
Could you shed some light on the following:

I want to bring in about 60kCAD immediately, and in the next few months a similar amount again as a part of a family asset dissolution that is scheduled for a future date at this point. Must I declare the second part (ball park value) in the "goods to follow list" ?

If yes, will I need documentation to support the claim?
Also, as you mentioned that any precious item that needs to be brought in - I show pictures of the same and valuation (can i put the same under the head of goods to follow as I won't be able to carry it all in one go?) This won't be an 'import package' ,it'll be me lugging them eventually.
We don't declare money in the goods to follow list.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
steaky said:
We don't declare money in the goods to follow list.
Thanks but then could you advice on how else do i protect it from taxes/ deem it duty free if I am unable to bring it in the first landing. Same for precious items / jewellery ?