+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to a different Province on a Spouse visa

Salazar1196

Aug 17, 2022
I have arrived in Toronto on a spouse visa. My wife is on a student visa, and I plan to move to a different province, say British Colombia or Alberta, for work. Will there be any complications? Is it allowed? Will I face any problems in future for PR or anything else?

What kind of process will I have to follow for this?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have arrived in Toronto on a spouse visa. My wife is on a student visa, and I plan to move to a different province, say British Colombia or Alberta, for work. Will there be any complications? Is it allowed? Will I face any problems in future for PR or anything else?

But your wife will remain in the same DLI? If yes, there is no issue.

Reactions: Salazar1196

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The purpose of an SOWP is to join your spouse in Canada so yes not living together could be an issue. Why are you not able or wanting to live with your spouse? BC and Alberta are very far from Toronto so it isn’t a situation where you could spend time together every weekend or multiple time per month. For example if your spouse went to school in a small town a few hours away from Toronto you could argue that there weren’t employment opportunities in the small town so you stay in Toronto and your wife comes to stay with you most weekends. That would be a valid argument why you temporarily are living apart while still spending a significant amount of time together in person and living as a couple. This isn’t your situation though you would be able to find job opportunities in Toronto. If you lived in BC or Alberta while your wife lived in Toronto you would be essentially acting like you were on a WP independent of your spouse and relationship. If it was discovered that you were landing in BC with no onward plans to Toronto you could be denied entry into Canada. There also could be questions about the validity of your relationship given the set-up you are suggesting and whether you were in a genuine relationship when you applied for SOWP. It is not a good idea not to live with your spouse when you applied for an SOWP.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The purpose of an SOWP is to join your spouse in Canada so yes not living together could be an issue. Why are you not able or wanting to live with your spouse? BC and Alberta are very far from Toronto so it isn’t a situation where you could spend time together every weekend or multiple time per month. For example if your spouse went to school in a small town a few hours away from Toronto you could argue that there weren’t employment opportunities in the small town so you stay in Toronto and your wife comes to stay with you most weekends. That would be a valid argument why you temporarily are living apart while still spending a significant amount of time together in person and living as a couple. This isn’t your situation though you would be able to find job opportunities in Toronto. If you lived in BC or Alberta while your wife lived in Toronto you would be essentially acting like you were on a WP independent of your spouse and relationship. If it was discovered that you were landing in BC with no onward plans to Toronto you could be denied entry into Canada. There also could be questions about the validity of your relationship given the set-up you are suggesting and whether you were in a genuine relationship when you applied for SOWP. It is not a good idea not to live with your spouse when you applied for an SOWP.
That is not correct, SOWP has no conditions placed on it to limit where dependant spouse should live. Your reply is personal, two adults can decide what is best for them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is not correct, SOWP has no conditions placed on it to limit where dependant spouse should live. Your reply is personal, two adults can decide what is best for them.
An SOWP is meant to join a spouse and without a spouse working or studying in Canada you wouldn’t qualify for the OWP. It is implied you will be joining your spouse in Canada. If you applied for an SOWP while your spouse was studying in Canada and indicated that you planned on living in BC while your spouse studied in Toronto your OWP would likely be denied. There would be no reason why you would qualify for the SOWP unless you planned on joining your spouse.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
An SOWP is meant to join a spouse and without a spouse working or studying in Canada you wouldn’t qualify for the OWP. It is implied you will be joining your spouse in Canada. If you applied for an SOWP while your spouse was studying in Canada and indicated that you planned on living in BC while your spouse studied in Toronto your OWP would likely be denied. There would be no reason why you would qualify for the SOWP unless you planned on joining your spouse.
Poster did not say all that, he said he has arrived in Toronto and plan to move to other province for work. Poster has valid SOWP, and he can work anywhere. What difference does it make if he was hired in Toronto where his wife is studying but later posted to other province by employer? again back to the main issue, there is no any compliance issue here. He can work anywhere while his wife is studying....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Poster did not say all that, he said he has arrived in Toronto and plan to move to other province for work. Poster has valid SOWP, and he can work anywhere. What difference does it make if he was hired in Toronto where his wife is studying but later posted to other province by employer? again back to the main issue, there is no any compliance issue here. He can work anywhere while his wife is studying....
There is certainly a risk when applying or SOWP extension that not living with your spouse could be an issue. The spouse of an international student is given an SOWP to join their spouse in Canada or else they would apply for an OWP on their own merits.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
There is certainly a risk when applying or SOWP extension that not living with your spouse could be an issue. The spouse of an international student is given an SOWP to join their spouse in Canada or else they would apply for an OWP on their own merits.
Still Irrelevant and there's zero risk provided this is not compliance requirement. You are making up rules

Reactions: Buletruck