+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving soon...addresses on citizenship application

heartland232

Mar 11, 2019
Hi people!

Hope you folks are well and safe. Question...
I will become eligible and will be applying for Canadian citizenship next month (July) but I am moving in to a new place in August (already found a place).
In terms of the current home address, should I put my current home address or the new address I will move to in August? Because by the time they start processing my application, I will already be at my new place.
And for the addresses history, should I include the new place I am moving too in August?

Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi people!

Hope you folks are well and safe. Question...
I will become eligible and will be applying for Canadian citizenship next month (July) but I am moving in to a new place in August (already found a place).
In terms of the current home address, should I put my current home address or the new address I will move to in August? Because by the time they start processing my application, I will already be at my new place.
And for the addresses history, should I include the new place I am moving too in August?

Thanks!
I would just say write your current address for your, well, "Current Residential Address" because you aren't "living" in your new address yet.

Once you move to your new address, raise a webform and update the address.

I wouldn't recommend writing future addresses as your "current home address" but that's just my opinion.

NOTE: If you want, you can add the new address to the "Mailing address".

Last edited:

ZZDown

Sep 6, 2017
When you will be filing out the form, there must be an option to specify your mailing address. I'd do it for the newer address you are expecting to move in, but for the current address I'd mark the current one, and then once you actually move, I'd submit the address change, which is very easy. I did it myself, and the only issue is that when you submit the address change, it does not give you any instant feedback, only a few weeks later you may (and may not) get an email that says that your changes have been recorded.

I'd say it's important to provide your actual current address so because it follows the rules and the forms. Your address does not influence much, it will primarily be used to send you your citizenship certificate eventually, but you will have plenty of time to change it and it will be double checked with you personally by the officers immediately before sending you the certificate. Another thing that your address can affect is potentially some citizenship test questions as to who your local parliament member is, etc. TBH I was not sure if my changes have been fully recorded so I memorized all the political folks for both addresses, so that's the downside, but it's only a few more names to remember, so was not a big deal.