+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from USA to Canada

Dec 28, 2016
Hi ,
I am moving to Canada on work permit from USA as my USA visa is expiring soon.Can I take my car to Canada ? Do I need to register it ?
I heard since on Work Permit I may not register it and use my USA insurance and move to Canada. Now after few months my USA visa will expire so how to get insurance and if I want to get it registered can I get it done in Canada itself after I move there.

VISHAN78

Nov 18, 2016
As per website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-1334.htm

"Persons entering under a work permit or student visa are also considered as visitors for the application of this section of the MVSA. Any change in the status of the person entering the vehicle may invalidate the use of this section of the MVSA. The vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of while in Canada and cannot remain in Canada for a period longer than the time constraints listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Canadian customs documents.

Note: Once these time limits are exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry under the MVSA and must be exported."

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Follow this link:
http://looniechemist.blogspot.com/2011/03/importing-car-to-canada-ontario-groan.html

Above link helped me a lot when I was in similar situation last year.

Please remember:

1. You will be allowed to run your US registered car for only X months in Canada. X varies by province.
2. Once you register your Car in Canada , you have to get Canadian insurance.
3. Your USA insurance is only valid as long as your insurance file has USA address.
4. You can temporarily import your Car in Canada, get it registered in Canada, get Canadian insurance , surrender USA license plate and then cancel USA insurance.
5. Do remember to take copy of your title. There is no concept of title in Canada. Canadian equivalent of DMV will take your USA registration and title and then give you Canadian registration only. Xerox copy of title will help you when you want to import your car back into USA.