+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moving car from GTA ( Mississauga) to calgary , what is the procedure

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hi friends,

I will be moving to calgary shortly ( in a week ), presently i am based in mississauga, i landed in Canada about a month back. I got my g2 licence.
I am getting a good car here at a reasonable price.

If i buy the car here and then drive it to calgary:

1) Need i change the registration of the car ( from ON number to AB Number )
2) If yes , what is the procedure , how cumbersome and how much expenses involved?
3) The insurance that i take here in ON , will it be valid in AB , or do i need to buy new insurance.
4) DO we road tax on a federal basis or a provincial basis
5) any other expenses

Will it be more sensible to buy a car once i reach calgary ( I donot know anyone in calgary )

Robins

Oct 4, 2010
boss2009 said:
Hi friends,

I will be moving to calgary shortly ( in a week ), presently i am based in mississauga, i landed in Canada about a month back. I got my g2 licence.
I am getting a good car here at a reasonable price.

If i buy the car here and then drive it to calgary:

1) Need i change the registration of the car ( from ON number to AB Number )
2) If yes , what is the procedure , how cumbersome and how much expenses involved?
3) The insurance that i take here in ON , will it be valid in AB , or do i need to buy new insurance.
4) DO we road tax on a federal basis or a provincial basis
5) any other expenses

Will it be more sensible to buy a car once i reach calgary ( I donot know anyone in calgary )
Is it a brand new car?
Not sure about the procedure, but in Calgary you only pay one tax. Calgary has no provincial tax.
But according to this site, a Volkswagen Golf (or equivalent new car) cost more $2k in Calgary than Toronto.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&city1=Calgary&country2=Canada&city2=Toronto

Why not go and talk to CAA (Canadian Automobile Association). They have nice free maps too.

p.s.: If you buy a new car that is last year model 2010 instead of the new model 2011, you should get a discount of 10% from the MRSP.