+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving before PR

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone, just wondering about dual intent.

We really want to move in August but I know our application won't be decided by then. - Dec. outland.

I'll have my partner go with me in hopes of him entering as a New Zealand visitor.

What can he take to prove ties to NZ, even though his true intentions are to move to Canada?

He'll be closing his bank accounts, we'll end our lease, sell the car and quit his job.
I'm worried about him being turned away.

Besides a return ticket what else can he show as proof of ties?

TIA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

We really want to move in August but I know our application won't be decided by then. - Dec. outland.

I'll have my partner go with me in hopes of him entering as a New Zealand visitor.

What can he take to prove ties to NZ, even though his true intentions are to move to Canada?

He'll be closing his bank accounts, we'll end our lease, sell the car and quit his job.

TIA
Hi

He'll be fine. Carry proof of the PR app and proof of finances. He shouldn't have more than a few bags like a regular visitor. He is coming to visit his partner while the app processes, not "moving to" or coming to "live in" Canada.

BlueSkiesHere

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-07-2017
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
Med's Done....
17-09-2017
Passport Req..
04-02-2018
LANDED..........
25-02-2018

TIA
I entered as dual intent a month ago to wait it out here. I had everything prepared but the border agent just jokingly asked "what job lets you have 6 months off lol" and a pinky promise not to work while here.
I didn't have any ties to my home country as I move around a lot for work, but I made sure to have return ticket, proof of funds just in case he asked.
(British here)

KiwiNate

May 20, 2017
New Zealand
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
18-04-2017
Pinky promise not to work... that's the most awesome thing I've read on here for a while :D

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi

He'll be fine. Carry proof of the PR app and proof of finances. He shouldn't have more than a few bags like a regular visitor. He is coming to visit his partner while the app processes, not "moving to" or coming to "live in" Canada.

Ok thanks. We'll of course avoid words like moving and staying. Im just worried about them asking for proof of ties, in which case he'll have nothing. Hoping that proof of application and return ticket will be enough after saying that he'll only visit me for a couple of weeks.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
I entered as dual intent a month ago to wait it out here. I had everything prepared but the border agent just jokingly asked "what job lets you have 6 months off lol" and a pinky promise not to work while here.
I didn't have any ties to my home country as I move around a lot for work, but I made sure to have return ticket, proof of funds just in case he asked.
(British here)

Haha pinky promise, that's a good one!
Ok that is reassuring to know you got let through without any stress and not having ties to home. Thanks for your reply

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok thanks. We'll of course avoid words like moving and staying. Im just worried about them asking for proof of ties, in which case he'll have nothing. Hoping that proof of application and return ticket will be enough after saying that he'll only visit me for a couple of weeks.
CBSA is very lenient with people who have a sponsorship app in process, as they can see the person is following the rules to live here legally. They also know that the vast majority of apps are approved, so there isn't really an overstay risk.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.