+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move back to Canada imminent, but I lost my Citizenship Certificate

Martytoof

Sep 19, 2007
I just lost my job and can no longer afford to hang out here in the USA, so I'm moving back north. Unfortunately, looking through my documents I found a big empty envelope where my citizenship certificate (card) should be. I have the "ceremonial" certificate, but that appears to be useless since it can't verify my identity.

Unfortunately, I've already given my notice to my apartment complex and they've found a new rentor. Moreover I can't really afford to stay here another month. I have an expired passport (expired in '04), but that is about all the Canadian documentation I have with me aside from my SIN.

I will be calling the embassy tomorrow, but just how big a pickle am I in? I was planning on driving from Florida to Ontario and situating with my parents in Hamilton until I can find new employment, but now I have to worry about not being able to prove my citizenship at the border :( Will I be turned away, or will they be able to do anything with my SIN, expired passport, ceremonial certificate, and US driver's license?

Any advice? I know I brought this on myself by not renewing my passport, though I honestly did think I had my citizenship certificate.