+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother's name different in my passport than her passport

ishikaur

Apr 2, 2024
Hi
My mother's name is different in her passport which is recently made (1 yr ago) and is little different in my passport which was made 10 years ago
There is only one letter change from "i" to "e" (Jinisha to Jenisha)
I am PR in canada and applying visitor visa for my mother for canada
Do i need to submit Affidavit for this name change or just adding previous name in the application will work?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
India is the only country I've ever heard of that puts parents' names in a passport. You don't even need to submit this page in your mother's application. Only the front biodata page of your passport is enough. A tiny spelling variation does not matter.

Reactions: YVR123

ishikaur

Apr 2, 2024
it says

• the purpose and length of your visit
  • the nature of the relationship between you and the person inviting you
  • the contact information of the person inviting you, and whether they are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
But I want to make sure that there is no reason to reject the visa, that is why wanted to give all documents
Is there any affidavit of name change?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
it says

• the purpose and length of your visit
  • the nature of the relationship between you and the person inviting you
  • the contact information of the person inviting you, and whether they are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
But I want to make sure that there is no reason to reject the visa, that is why wanted to give all documents
Only provide what they ask you to. Never volunteer information that is not wanted or needed

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You are complicating things by thinking about what they might ask for. Identify what they DO ask for, and submit that.

If the time comes later that they ask for birth certificate, submit that.

And no, generally, if there's some name discrepancy that's pretty simple you'd add a short letter of explanation saying there is ... a small discrepancy in spelling of name (and which of the spellings is correct). If they want an affidavit or some other evidence of change a name, they will ask for it.

Affidavits in Canadian context outside of a purely legal/courtroom process are rather rare. If you write a letter and sign it yourself, that's your statement. Mostly additional things like witnesses or sworn in front of an environment required only when that statement needs to be affirmed in front of a third party, or where they anticipate going to court - again, for formal procedures.

For IRCC: if they don't believe your statement, having somebody else countersign is mostly not going to solve the issue.

Reactions: bellaluna

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Birth certificate also has the same spelling as in my passport(that is incorrect)
Again, if they do not ask for your birth certificate, then ... they won't even see it. They won't consider the spelling in your passport as official. You might want to consider a short letter of explanation that just states that her name as disclosed in your passport is different than her name as in her own passport, but that the name in her passport is (of course) the correct official spelling.

Reactions: bellaluna