+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother travelling , how to prove relationship in Canada

guptavandana86

Mar 15, 2021
Hi there,
My mom is travelling to Toronto coming April. I am Canadian citizen. I understand we have to prove that we have immediate family relationships when she lands in Toronto. Problem is I have birth certificate in Hindi and it does not have my name in it. It has my DOB and parents name.
How do we prove immediate family relationship?
can I show them my 10th class mark sheet from India?
or my old Indian passport which is revoked now as I got Canadian passport?

thank you for your feedback in advance..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,
My mom is travelling to Toronto coming April. I am Canadian citizen. I understand we have to prove that we have immediate family relationships when she lands in Toronto. Problem is I have birth certificate in Hindi and it does not have my name in it. It has my DOB and parents name.
How do we prove immediate family relationship?
can I show them my 10th class mark sheet from India?
or my old Indian passport which is revoked now as I got Canadian passport?

thank you for your feedback in advance..
Would take a few pieces that identify your mother as your mother but an old passport is probably the best. She'll need to have proof that you changed citizenship and are the person in the Indian passport. Copy on your Canadian passport with the same information should be fine. Marriage registration may also have your name and your parents name.

Reactions: guptavandana86

guptavandana86

Mar 15, 2021
Would take a few pieces that identify your mother as your mother but an old passport is probably the best. She'll need to have proof that you changed citizenship and are the person in the Indian passport. Copy on your Canadian passport with the same information should be fine. Marriage registration may also have your name and your parents name.
Thank you. I just checked my marriage registration certificate. It does not have my mother name. It just have father name.
Do you think affidavit signed by notary in Canada will work in place of birth certificate?

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Hello Canuck78,
Thank you. I just checked my marriage registration certificate. It does not have my mother name. It just have father name.
Do you think affidavit signed by notary in Canada will work in place of birth certificate?
Hello, if I understand correctly, you are a PR and your mother has visitor visa. I have a similar situation to you because my mother also wants to visit me. When the border official asks, what should we say for our reason of visiting?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No need to spend money on a notary. Old passport, school records, even marriage registration and then proof that your parents are married would probably work. Would bring a few pieces of proof but to be extra cautious but I don't think they are being extremely militant with what proof you need.

Reactions: guptavandana86

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Canuck78,

Hello, if I understand correctly, you are a PR and your mother has visitor visa. I have a similar situation to you because my mother also wants to visit me. When the border official asks, what should we say for our reason of visiting?

Thank you!
The truth... visiting their child.

guptavandana86

Mar 15, 2021
Hello Canuck78,

Thank you!
I m citizen and my mom is travelling to unite with family which is me. This is the reason we are going to give.

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
The truth... visiting their child.
Thank you Canuck78 for your warm help!

I was wondering if that would be considered "non-essential" and the official would not allow her to enter? Because I saw from Canada.ca the covid 19 website that in my situation, my mother is likely be allowed to enter, but the border official has to decide.

Do you know if anyone in similar situation got denied for entry recently? I am very concerned about this because my mother is old and if she is not allowed to enter she has to fly back again.

Thank you so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Canuck78 for your warm help!

I was wondering if that would be considered "non-essential" and the official would not allow her to enter? Because I saw from Canada.ca the covid 19 website that in my situation, my mother is likely be allowed to enter, but the border official has to decide.

Do you know if anyone in similar situation got denied for entry recently? I am very concerned about this because my mother is old and if she is not allowed to enter she has to fly back again.

Thank you so much!
There are a variety of reasons people aren't admitted at the POE but haven't heard of parents specifically being targeted because there travel wasn't deemed essential. She will still have to make her way to her quarantine hotel. Would suggest not going for the cheapest option so there is some service to help her.

Reactions: MathToStat

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
There are a variety of reasons people aren't admitted at the POE but haven't heard of parents specifically being targeted because there travel wasn't deemed essential. She will still have to make her way to her quarantine hotel. Would suggest not going for the cheapest option so there is some service to help her.
Good to know that, thank you so much Canuck 78!

Harb24

Dec 17, 2023
Hello, i am sponsoring my parents and I have incorrect date of birth on birth certificate. How do i prove relationship? Can some help me with affidavit in the like lieu of birth certificate.
I also have Indian passport with my parents name. Please help. Thanks