+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother Born in Canada but Birth not Registered

Sep 14, 2015
Hello All,

My mom was born in Canada in 1958. I have her birth certificate from the hospital in Windsor, Nova Scotia. The birth certificate is not an official document so we asked for a new one from vital statistics. They told us that my mothers birth was not officially registered. What can be done in this case? She was born to British parents. I need an official birth certificate in order to apply for my citizenship certificate (by descent). My mothers mother is now dead and her father in very poor health. Is there some kind of delayed registration we could do? Who would complete it?

In a nutshell:

Born in Canada 1958
Unofficial hospital birth certificate
NOT officially registered birth
British parents, deceased and/or very sick
Lived in UK since age of 2yrs.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should start by directing your questions to the Nova Scotia Vital Statistics Office. I would think that it would be very unusual for a birth that occurred at a hospital in 1958 not to be registered. Perhaps your mother's name was misspelled (misspelt) and that's why they can't find it? What solution do they offer?

Phone: 902-424-4381
Fax: 902-450-7311
E-mail: vstat@novascotia.ca

Sep 14, 2015
Thank you very much for your reply and information.

I just called them and we have to fill in a "Delayed Registration of Birth" form and send it with three pieces of ID and my mothers hospital birth certificate (unofficial). They should then register her birth and provide her with an official birth certificate.

Thanks again!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Madridtocanada said:
Thank you very much for your reply and information.

I just called them and we have to fill in a "Delayed Registration of Birth" form and send it with three pieces of ID and my mothers hospital birth certificate (unofficial). They should then register her birth and provide her with an official birth certificate.

Thanks again!
Great! If you're sending the original of her hospital birth record, I would recommend that you send it with some kind of tracking. If it gets lost, you'll likely be out of luck. Be sure to at least make a copy.