+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Most recent copy of T4 slips and work done under off campus work permit

shamol82

Jan 11, 2012
Hi there,
I am going to submit my PR application under CEC very soon. I have two more questions:

1. I am working since December 21, 2010 to present. I do not have the copy of my T4 slip and Notice of assessment (NOA) for the tax year 2011 yet and I will not get them until March,2012. I do have T4 and NOA for tax year 2010 and 2009. If I submit my application now can I submit it with tax year 2010 slips or should I wait until I get them for tax year 2011?

2. Part of my work experience was under off-campus work permit after my graduation (from December 21,2010 to February 11, 2011) as my PGWP was issued on February11, 2011. Do I have to wait until February 11, 2012 before I submit my application?

Thanks

justtheme

May 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa >> Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
AOR Received.
03-09-2011
IELTS Request
7.5 / 9
File Transfer...
03-09-2011
Med's Request
29-5-2013
Med's Done....
10-6-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
26-9-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
shamol82 said:
Hi there,
I am going to submit my PR application under CEC very soon. I have two more questions:

1. I am working since December 21, 2010 to present. I do not have the copy of my T4 slip and Notice of assessment (NOA) for the tax year 2011 yet and I will not get them until March,2012. I do have T4 and NOA for tax year 2010 and 2009. If I submit my application now can I submit it with tax year 2010 slips or should I wait until I get them for tax year 2011?

2. Part of my work experience was under off-campus work permit after my graduation (from December 21,2010 to February 11, 2011) as my PGWP was issued on February11, 2011. Do I have to wait until February 11, 2012 before I submit my application?

Thanks
1. I believe you can send your T4s and assessments for 2009 and 2010. Send paystubs for 2011 - it'd be the only way to prove your employment and tax deductions. Also, include a letter explaining why you can't submit the 2011 T4 and the assessment for that same year.

2. No. You're allowed to work full time under an Off-Campus work permit but only if you apply for a PGWP. It's defined by CIC as a "transition".

OP12, page 29: "Transition from off-campus work permits to post-graduation work permits Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit—a one-time opportunity—during the 90- day transition period on completion of their academic program if they fulfil all of the requirements for the PGWPP. Since the validity period of an off-campus work permit is usually the same as the student's study period (the duration of the academic program plus 90 days), they do not have to surrender their off-campus work permit to apply. They can continue to work under the off-campus work permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit.
Employment during this transition period can be full-time."

As long as you started to work after graduation, your experience counts. Just include your diploma or a letter from your College/University stating that you completed your courses before starting to work full-time.

Hope this helps.

junecec

Star Member
Dec 28, 2011
Your work experience gained under off-campus work permit will NOT be counted towards CEC application (if that's the category you are applying under). You will be credited for 1 year work experience gathered from the day you received your PGWP, which in this case started from Feb 11, 2011. So, you should be very carefull before you submit the application to make sure you complete the full 1 year experience under PGWP and fullfill the 37.5hr/week equivalent requirement in that 1 year.

as per CIC website:

You must have obtained the equivalent of 12 months of full-time or full-time equivalent (37.5 hours a week) Canadian skilled work experience at NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Levels A or B. This work experience must have been acquired in Canada (within the 24 months preceding the date the application is made*).

You do not have to be in employed at the time of the application.

Note: The experience must be acquired after you have completed the required study and obtained a Canadian credential (work performed under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or co-op work terms do not count).

Hopefully this clarifies your confusion.

justtheme

May 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa >> Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
AOR Received.
03-09-2011
IELTS Request
7.5 / 9
File Transfer...
03-09-2011
Med's Request
29-5-2013
Med's Done....
10-6-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
26-9-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
junecec said:
Your work experience gained under off-campus work permit will NOT be counted towards CEC application (if that's the category you are applying under). You will be credited for 1 year work experience gathered from the day you received your PGWP, which in this case started from Feb 11, 2011. So, you should be very carefull before you submit the application to make sure you complete the full 1 year experience under PGWP and fullfill the 37.5hr/week equivalent requirement in that 1 year.

as per CIC website:

You must have obtained the equivalent of 12 months of full-time or full-time equivalent (37.5 hours a week) Canadian skilled work experience at NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Levels A or B. This work experience must have been acquired in Canada (within the 24 months preceding the date the application is made*).

You do not have to be in employed at the time of the application.

Note: The experience must be acquired after you have completed the required study and obtained a Canadian credential (work performed under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or co-op work terms do not count).

Hopefully this clarifies your confusion.
Yes, but the OP12 clearly states that there's an exception for full-time work with Off Campus work permits. It counts as long as he had already applied for the PGWP. It would be a "transition period", as the OP12 states. I believe his experience does count. The only real requirement here is that he must have started to work after the graduation date or at least after completing all the components of the educational program.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
shamol82 said:

No, you do not have to wait; submit the most recent one you have. They may request the 2011 documents later, so file your tax return as soon as possible.

You don't need to include paystubs; but if you want to, include a copy of the final paystub from Dec 2011 - it should show all the cumulative info for 2011.

I agree with justtheme that those 2 months post-graduation SHOULD be counted under CEC, but it is not clear what VO's will actually do. If you can wait until February (it's just one more month), I think that would be safer.