More stuff than in Goods to follow list

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read this page:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

It clearly states "Residents Returning to Canada".

Original Poster is not a Canadian resident for custom purposes !!!!!!!!!
Despite the Original Post is not a Canadian resident for custom purposes, you are still incorrect!!!!!!!

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html#_s8

It also clearly said:

- a temporary resident of Canada returning from trip outside Canada.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Despite the Original Post is not a Canadian resident for custom purposes, you are still incorrect!!!!!!!

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html#_s8

It also clearly said:

- a temporary resident of Canada returning from trip outside Canada.
o_O

Temporary Resident of Canada = Student on Study Permit OR Temporary Worker on Work Permit.

Original poster is not a temporary resident. He/She finished soft landing and then returned to USA. For custom purposes, he was just a visitor.

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Hello All,

I have already landed previously and was in Canada for two weeks.

I will be moving soon to Canada. I have couple of queries.

I recently bought some stuff and is not listed on goods to follow form. How do I declare it now without paying duties?

Also I will be importing my car and have listed in generic section of goods to follow form and not in conveyance section. Will it cause any issues when I import my car?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated

So, just so I understand, you landed as a PR but did not stay in Canada long enough to receive your PR card? Was your Goods and Goods to Follow form stamped when you landed?

If you are a landed PR and you bring in stuff that wasn't on your customs forms at the time of landing then it is subject to regular duty free limits ($200/800 per person if you've been outside Canada for at least 24/48 hours).

If I've missed something and you are still just a visitor to Canada, then the limit is as follows:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.html

Part B - Visitors to Canada
The following duty-free allowances apply to each visitor entering into Canada:
  • Gifts (excludes alcohol and tobacco) valued at no more than CAN$60 each.
  • 1.5 L of wine or 1.14 L of liquor or 24 x 355 ml cans or bottles (8.5 L) of beer or ale.
  • 200 cigarettes, 200 tobacco sticks, 50 cigars or cigarillos and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco.
If in doubt, you can call CBSA during business hours to talk to one of their agents and get some clarity.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Why am I not considering a resident. I have address proof in Canada, Have bank account and SIN.
Sounds to me like you're a resident. You have your PR card to get back into Canada? If not, then at a land crossing you can get in with your passport (they'll cross reference it. Having your COPR helps too).

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

"Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00."

When you Soft landed earlier you became a Canadian Resident from immigration perspective but were just a visitor from Customs perspective. In fact, you were not even required to submit GTA/GTF during soft landing. For Customs, you will become resident once you move to Canada and establish residency ( means actually start living in Canada).

When you call CBSA do mention that you have no residential ties to Canada at this moment. A friend's/releative's address where you sent your PR card does not count ;)

Last edited:

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
Sounds to me like you're a resident. You have your PR card to get back into Canada? If not, then at a land crossing you can get in with your passport (they'll cross reference it. Having your COPR helps too).
No PR card yet but I do have CoPR and stamped GTF.

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

"Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00."

When you Soft landed earlier you became a Canadian Resident from immigration perspective but were just a visitor from Customs perspective. In fact, you were not even required to submit GTA/GTF during soft landing. For Customs, you will become resident once you move to Canada and establish residency ( means actually start living in Canada).

When you call CBSA do mention that you have no residential ties to Canada at this moment. A friend's/releative's address where you sent your PR card does not count ;)
I have a lease agreement in my name for the basement apartment I am renting.