+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

More difficult to bring common-law partner to Canada than spouse?

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Hi all, I am a girl going to Canada to study.

I applied a study permit, together with my boyfriend's open work permit last time. Since two of us are living together for nearly two years (we rent a room in Singapore but unfortunately we kept moving places so couldn't keep a full, complete and official record of rental history), I thought application through this "common-law partner" should works, as we did provide a lot of other evidences.

But then my boyfriend's open work permit is rejected. the reason of rejection is that the visa officer is not satisfied with our interdependent conjugal relationship. Fortunately this doesn't affect my study permit, perhaps because my reason to study is quite convincing (I get into a very good school program).

There are still four months away before I leave for Canada. What should we do now? Should we try again to apply open work permit for my boyfriend as a common-law partner of an international student? Or should we start preparing our wedding now because there's little chance to succeed as common-law partner relationship?

I hope to hear some opinions. Is it for sure that spouse of international student is easier to get visa, compared to common-law partner?

Thanks!