+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Montreal citizenship - any updates?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MTLtee said:
yep, took mine nov 1st. Still haven't heard anything back..
You called a month ago, but you can call again, just be very specific what you ask for-- i.e. whether there's CJ's and/or CIC approval of case or hearing required note added after completing test/interview.

Some cases are approved within 2-3 weeks, but for the most it's clear within about 2 month period whether it's road to ceremony or "hearing is required" i.e. RQ will be sent.

I have a sense the more case is in a hanged state after test/interview, the worse, because it may indicate that additional case review and/or investigation is required.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Markito29 said:
MTLtee have you called to inquire? Some say that the cases are usually approved after a few weeks and are just pending oath scheduling...
Easyrider - thought that the system is updated over night..?.i checked through the day (on tuesdays)in the past only to find out that new ceremonies are posted wednesday a.m. this final step is soooo nervewrecking!! I just want to be done with it already :mad:
Did you call them? I'm going to call this Friday.

Ceremonies list was certainly updated today-- ceremonies before today removed and new added, but not in Montreal office. Update is usually done Tuesday or Wednesday afternoons.

Markito29

Jan 3, 2014
I thought i would wait since it doesn't look like anyone who took the test in late November has heard anything yet. I read one of your earlier posts in which you had mentioned that the case has to go through the cj then back to the officer for final review... seems like an inefficient process or the very best of bureaucracy gone wrong... anyway good luck to all of us...

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Markito29 said:
I thought i would wait since it doesn't look like anyone who took the test in late November has heard anything yet. I read one of your earlier posts in which you had mentioned that the case has to go through the cj then back to the officer for final review... seems like an inefficient process or the very best of bureaucracy gone wrong... anyway good luck to all of us...
The point of calling is to know if the case is approved or there will be RQ or hearing, and that happens before case goes to an oath scheduling queue. In case of "hearing required" it may take several months to receive RQ, but case assessment for that is usually done within couple months from test/interview.

The process is overcomplicated. All cohort of judges and courts are involved for some reason into citizenship process, and as a result it's an expensive, resource demanding, slow and multi-year process now. The whole process including decisions could be handled by trained citizenship agents and would have taken mere weeks. But no, CIC doesn't want that of course. The longer and more vague and complicated, the better.

Markito29

Jan 3, 2014
Yes, too late for the 17th of January.
Easyrider - I noticed from the timelines under your signature that the applications that were submitted in 2013 are moving a lot faster now! 5-6 months from date received to test. That's encouraging.

hanisaf

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
I called today and the agent told me that there is no update on the file. The test result is still not updated in the system. So most likely Montreal office has not yet touched my file after the test (23 Dec)

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hanisaf said:
I called today and the agent told me that there is no update on the file. The test result is still not updated in the system. So most likely Montreal office has not yet touched my file after the test (23 Dec)
That's too early, especially with 2 weeks of holidays before that.

Markito29

Jan 3, 2014
When they do update the test info on file does it mean that it's approved and waiting to be scheduled for the ceremony?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Markito29 said:
When they do update the test info on file does it mean that it's approved and waiting to be scheduled for the ceremony?
No, it's just about a test score, which you should know after test anyway. A case is generally approved when a judge approves the case. CIC may appeal then, but it's rare.

After that a record created on file and call agent is able to confirm that.

Then the case will wait in a ceremony scheduling queue.

Did you call them?

Markito29

Jan 3, 2014
I read in another thread that all calls are recorded to file and it may even flag you for RQ and raise suspicion if calling too often ?? I've called them once before but nothing. I'm in no rush but could this be?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, I called CIC today and they said they had approved my application on 27 Dec (I took test on 27 Nov) and now I'm waiting for invitation to a ceremony.

I suspect sometimes data in GCMS is being updated after some lag after actual event, because I called a week ago and there was no update for me.

When I called I asked a specific question, i.e. if there have been any updates or new notes on file in the last weeks after test until now.

When agent said case was approved, I asked to provide with the date of approval. Forgot to ask if it was CJ's or CIC/grantor's approval (as it can be found from ATIP for electronic files), maybe will get to know it later.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flybest1 said:
what's GMCS? are you aying the data on their website is not up-to-date? thanks
GCMS (global case management system) is an application where call agents read info about progress your case from.

A printout of your case data from GCMS is what you get when request electronic files through ATIP.

It has much more information there than e-cas. E-cas is missing a lot of stuff, like state of clearances updates, file transfer date, approval date, officers' notes, etc.

See Swede's post for example (you need to scroll in a "code" window).