+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Money on Hand When Entering Canada

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
How much money can my husband bring on hand with him when he enters into Canada without having to declare or pay on it?
Thanks!

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
He can bring as much as he wants without having to pay anything. He is required to declare any amount over $10,000 but nothing happens if he's bringing in more than that, they just want to know.

Getting on my flight to Nigeria in April from New York (JFK) they asked how much money I had with me. I told them the truth ($4500 in US Dollars and UK Pounds) and he said I only had to declare if I had over $10,000. He then pulled me aside and went through my purse and my carry-on, and patted me down to see if I was lying! He even opened sealed envelopes which contained wedding cards. I was so upset. I am a Canadian citizen and this US customs agent was acting like I was some sort of criminal, after I had already declared and shown him a substantial amount of money, which I wasn't even required to do. Sheesh!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
They know a lot of Nigerian businessmen/women will have much more than $10,000 on them. It's not illegal to bring in or take out more, but I can see why people from Nigeria might be suspicious of the motives of officials and not want to declare it. Entering Nigeria the second time, I was afraid to declare my money, because I thought the border officials might demand bribes. (Not exactly unheard of there.)

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Yes, but this was the US officials! I was searched on the airway, after checking in at the gate...literally 15 steps from entering the plane. It was so weird. They searched through all my stuff in front of other passengers, including unfolding my underwear and shaking it out. I have never felt so violated!

I did learn though, if anyone was ever to rob a plane full of people it would be a plane on the way to Nigeria. Everyone is carrying envelopes packed with thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars in cash. I felt sick the entire day carrying around $4500!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bobshynoswife said:
Yes, but this was the US officials! I was searched on the airway, after checking in at the gate...literally 15 steps from entering the plane. It was so weird. They searched through all my stuff in front of other passengers, including unfolding my underwear and shaking it out. I have never felt so violated!

I did learn though, if anyone was ever to rob a plane full of people it would be a plane on the way to Nigeria. Everyone is carrying envelopes packed with thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars in cash. I felt sick the entire day carrying around $4500!
I know, isn't that funny? On average, Canadians have far more money than Nigerians, but the Nigerians I know are so casual about carrying around huge amounts of cash. I can't even imagine carrying $100,000 or even $25,000 on me. And carrying it across a border! Given how corrupt Nigeria is, how can they trust that the border officials in other countries won't search them or demand bribes?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Did you get asked a lot of questions when going into Nigeria? At the airport they were all very nice to me, and there was never a suggestion of a bribe or 'gift'. My husband coached me to be confident, look like I knew exactly what I was doing, keep my head high, make eye contact and act annoyed and inconvenienced if they tried to look in my bags. I was all prepared to do that and fight if necessary, and no one even glanced my way!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bobshynoswife said:
Did you get asked a lot of questions when going into Nigeria? At the airport they were all very nice to me, and there was never a suggestion of a bribe or 'gift'. My husband coached me to be confident, look like I knew exactly what I was doing, keep my head high, make eye contact and act annoyed and inconvenienced if they tried to look in my bags. I was all prepared to do that and fight if necessary, and no one even glanced my way!
I never had any trouble at the airport in Lagos. I was worried, though, because you are supposed to declare how much money you have.
My husband said they are more likely to question Nigerians leaving and entering, because they know a lot of them are businessmen and are carrying cash.