+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mixed part time full time hour calculation

mistseven2012

Mar 31, 2014
Hi all,

I need some help in calculating the hours for EE profile,

I joined a company on August 2017 as part time. On June they promoted me to a full time position but i will be paid hourly without benefits.

Part time From August 2017 to June 2018 my total hours are 1600 hours or 40 hours weekly as junior mechanical designer

Full time From june 2018 to August 2018 it will be atleat 480 hours or 40 hours weekly as mechanical designer.( Not junior).

I have hour log for each month and throughout the 1 year i will be paid hourly rate.

How should i calculate and fill up my information in the profile? I believe i am eligible for CEC with 1 year canadian experience right

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So part-time and full-time are both 40 hrs per week? If so you will meet the required 1 year of work experience in August 2018.

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Hi all,

I joined a company on August 2017 as part time. On June they promoted me to a full time position but i will be paid hourly without benefits.

Part time From August 2017 to June 2018 my total hours are 1600 hours or 40 hours weekly as junior mechanical designer

Full time From june 2018 to August 2018 it will be atleat 480 hours or 40 hours weekly as mechanical designer.( Not junior).

I have hour log for each month and throughout the 1 year i will be paid hourly rate.

How should i calculate and fill up my information in the profile? I believe i am eligible for CEC with 1 year canadian experience right

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
IRCC define full time as 30 hours a week or more. So for any week in which you work 30 hours or more count 1 week and for any week in which you worked less than 30 hours count all the hours, total, divide by 30 and round down. Add up the total of weeks and if you have 52 weeks total you have 1 year experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi all,

This is why "number of hours worked per week" is required in the letter of reference. Regardless of how your employer classifies your position, if you worked 30 or more hours per week, IRCC classifies it as full-time.

NOTE That TOTAL HOURS is not of interested to IRCC, it is meaningless if you worked full-time. You cannot simply add up hours, unless you worked part-time (less than 30 hours per week).

If you are saying you have a mix of part-time and full-time hours (not uncommon), then the best thing to do is make a spreadsheet for hours worked per week. You can calculate your full-time equivalent a couple of way. You can count a maximum of 30 hours per week for your full-time weeks, add those hours to your part-time weeks and divide by 30.

Example:
Week 1: worked 24 hours (count 24 hours)
Week 2: worked 35 hours (count 30 hours)
Week 3: worked 42 hours (count 30 hours)
Week 4: worked 26 hours (count 26 hours)
Week 5: worked 10 hours (count 10 hours)

Total countable hours = 120 = 4 weeks FTE

Or you can simply add up the part-time hours and divide by 30, then add that number to the number of full-time weeks. 52 weeks = 1 year.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
This is why "number of hours worked per week" is required in the letter of reference. Regardless of how your employer classifies your position, if you worked 30 or more hours per week, IRCC classifies it as full-time. If that is the case, you simply need to work one year, you do not need to add up hours.

NOTE That TOTAL HOURS is not of interested to IRCC, it is meaningless if you worked full-time. You cannot simply add up hours, unless you worked part-time (less than 30 hours per week).

If you are saying you have a mix of part-time and full-time hours (not uncommon), then the best thing to do is make a spreadsheet for hours worked per week. You can calculate your full-time equivalent a couple of way. You can count a maximum of 30 hours per week for your full-time weeks, add those hours to your part-time weeks and divide by 30.

Example:

Or you can simply add up the part-time hours and divide by 30, then add that number to the number of full-time weeks. 52 weeks = 1 year.

Emily98

Feb 17, 2021
This is why "number of hours worked per week" is required in the letter of reference. Regardless of how your employer classifies your position, if you worked 30 or more hours per week, IRCC classifies it as full-time.

Example:

Hi there,
If I am in this situation that I have mix part time and full time experience, how do I prove to CIC that my part time hours are sufficient? I have calculate on my own according to your method and I have enough hours. I am just not sure if just submitting paystubs and T4 would be enough? Do you know if there is any documents to submit? Thank you

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Hi there,
If I am in this situation that I have mix part time and full time experience, how do I prove to CIC that my part time hours are sufficient? I have calculate on my own according to your method and I have enough hours. I am just not sure if just submitting paystubs and T4 would be enough? Do you know if there is any documents to submit? Thank you
I submitted leters from employers which stated the typical range of hours for part time e.g. 20-30 hours per week. Plus payslip copies these were for either a two week period or half calendar month. These were accepted. I did not supply T4s as these don't state hours. I had a full analysis of each week if needed as supplementary information but this was not requested. Good Luck.

Emily98

Feb 17, 2021
I submitted leters from employers which stated the typical range of hours for part time e.g. 20-30 hours per week. Plus payslip copies these were for either a two week period or half calendar month. These were accepted. I did not supply T4s as these don't state hours. I had a full analysis of each week if needed as supplementary information but this was not requested. Good Luck.
Thank you for your reply! If my employer can not write down the average hours for part time because its fluctuate, can I just submit my paystubs? Do you think I need to submit anything else? Thank you again!

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Thank you for your reply! If my employer can not write down the average hours for part time because its fluctuate, can I just submit my paystubs? Do you think I need to submit anything else? Thank you again!
I believe the letter that your employer/s writes should include a number of key points as requested by IRCC. The letter/s are a key element in your application and its worth getting as close to what is required as possible. If you supply payslips as well that should be sufficient.

Gracierydz

Feb 7, 2018
I read all the comments. I just wonder how to enter it in the express entry profile for mix part time hours with different work hours weekly in same company? Because in ircc need to enter the work hours per week? Do i need to separately enter it each week even if it’s in same company?

ikrm

Jan 9, 2024
I read all the comments. I just wonder how to enter it in the express entry profile for mix part time hours with different work hours weekly in same company? Because in ircc need to enter the work hours per week? Do i need to separately enter it each week even if it’s in same company?
No, you need to mention from - to month. And average of all the weeks within that period. Ex.
You worked 2 months part time with different hours in each week. Calculate total hours and divide it with 8 weeks. That’s the average hours per week that you will enter in EE profile.