+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake or Typo error in COPR

Apr 13, 2023
Hello, my husband just got his COPR yesterday, however upon checking, we noticed that his Country of birth is wrong. The Canadian officer wrote 'Netherlands' instead of Philippines. Does anyone knows how I can have it corrected? Also, do you know when I should have it corrected? is it before landing Canada or after landing Canada is okay. His tentative flight to Canada is on May 10th. I hope somebody can answer my questions. Thank you so much and have a great day!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello, my husband just got his COPR yesterday, however upon checking, we noticed that his Country of birth is wrong. The Canadian officer wrote 'Netherlands' instead of Philippines. Does anyone knows how I can have it corrected? Also, do you know when I should have it corrected? is it before landing Canada or after landing Canada is okay. His tentative flight to Canada is on May 10th. I hope somebody can answer my questions. Thank you so much and have a great day!
Was there any contact info in the passport request letter? Did you apply from the Philippines? If yes, you can try to email MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca with "Urgent: Wrong COPR Info" in the subject.

You should have it corrected ASAP. The shortest response time by IRCC is 2 weeks if you're lucky. May 10th is not far away from today. This wrong info will also be a problem for the PR card and it will be harder to correct after landing.

While the CBSA officer processing your husband's landing may possibly understand it was a clerical error by IRCC, best to not take any chances and make sure that he lands with a COPR with the correct information.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023
Was there any contact info in the passport request letter? Did you apply from the Philippines? If yes, you can try to email MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca with "Urgent: Wrong COPR Info" in the subject.

You should have it corrected ASAP. The shortest response time by IRCC is 2 weeks if you're lucky. May 10th is not far away from today. This wrong info will also be a problem for the PR card and it will be harder to correct after landing.

While the CBSA officer processing your husband's landing may possibly understand it was a clerical error by IRCC, best to not take any chances and make sure that he lands with a COPR with the correct information.
Hello thank you for the response. Yes, he applied from Philippines. We sent and email to the email you mentioned, however their reply is to raise our concern only through a webform, which I already did on my end. I received a response however their reply is not helping. They only said that the documents I sent was processed and added to our application. Our application was already closed since he already got his visa and COPR. Hopefully they will sent us another response any time soon.

Mayyah16

Nov 24, 2022
Hello. We had the same issue. On my husband's CoPR, the place and country of birth were wrong - Mauritania instead of MAURITIUS. We were advised by the VAC to raise a webform, which we immediately did. On our side, we also contacted the IRCC office by email and phone and they responded two days later, requesting us to send our passports back. So we had to send everything back - RFV mail (appendix filled), both our passports (I'm the main applicant) and our photos. Plus a letter mentioning all details and errors made. They receive the documents 6 days later (delay because of Easter holiday). Now under process. We were intending to fly on April 23rd to London. But when we called them again, they only mentioned they just received the package and it will probably take less time for re-processing. (They did mention 'expedite re-printing for correction of error' in the mail though).

We are really uncertain at this point. Just waiting anxiously.

I read that some have been travelling to Canada even with errors on their CoPR and got it corrected at landing, by the CBSA officers. As we were unsure, we sent back everything for re-correction.

Reactions: bellaluna
Apr 13, 2023
Hello. We had the same issue. On my husband's CoPR, the place and country of birth were wrong - Mauritania instead of MAURITIUS. We were advised by the VAC to raise a webform, which we immediately did. On our side, we also contacted the IRCC office by email and phone and they responded two days later, requesting us to send our passports back. So we had to send everything back - RFV mail (appendix filled), both our passports (I'm the main applicant) and our photos. Plus a letter mentioning all details and errors made. They receive the documents 6 days later (delay because of Easter holiday). Now under process. We were intending to fly on April 23rd to London. But when we called them again, they only mentioned they just received the package and it will probably take less time for re-processing. (They did mention 'expedite re-printing for correction of error' in the mail though).

We are really uncertain at this point. Just waiting anxiously.

I read that some have been travelling to Canada even with errors on their CoPR and got it corrected at landing, by the CBSA officers. As we were unsure, we sent back everything for re-correction.
I’ve read that too, but I wasn’t sure it its applicable to ours. They mistakenly encoded ”Netherlands” on his Country of Birth which is supposedly Philippines.
If it’s okay with you, can you please share with me the email and contact number where you reached them? Thank you so much.

Mayyah16

Nov 24, 2022
I’ve read that too, but I wasn’t sure it its applicable to ours. They mistakenly encoded ”Netherlands” on his Country of Birth which is supposedly Philippines.
If it’s okay with you, can you please share with me the email and contact number where you reached them? Thank you so much.
Have you tried calling your IRCC Office? Mine is in Pretoria, South Africa. I reached them through the email address I found from the letter (On GC key) and by phone.

My application is still closed right now (as per the tracker). I read when you send back the documents, they cancel your current CoPR and issue a new visa & CoPR document (and new number). But that sounds like a whole new process, like all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna
Apr 13, 2023
Hi everyone. Just to give you an update, my husband landed in Canada already. He landed on May 10, 2023. As per Manila Immigration, the error in my husband’s COB will not affect the validity of his visa nor COPR. They only info they needed to reflect correctly in his visa is his fullname, birthdate, passport number. the error in his COB will not hinder him from entering Canada. When he reach the immigration upon landing, he only told the officer that the COB was incorrect. And he changed it in the system.
For us to have peace of mind while waiting for his flight, we only emailed the Manila Immigration about the discrepanc, and on my end, I sent a webform inquiry, gave the full details and attached the copy of his COPR. I’m not sure if it helped but we think it’s better to do it that way just to make sure.
I hope this helps anyone who will encounter the same problem we had.