+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake in my COPR,,, Can I apply for the citizinship?

mery15

Aug 12, 2015
Hello Folks,

I'm preparing my application for the citizenship and found there is a mistake in my COPR. Basically, the original entry date is wrong. I have sent it to CIC for the amendment but I found that it takes about 6 months to get the correct one back. Meanwhile, I'm eligible to apply now, should I wait or I may send my application now?

As you know COPR is not required in the citizenship application and even though it seems to me it is a minor issue, I thought that my record should be correct before applying..

Should I apply or wait the 6 months :( ?
I hope to see clarificaiton from the peaple here.

thanks

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Hello Folks,

I'm preparing my application for the citizenship and found there is a mistake in my COPR. Basically, the original entry date is wrong. I have sent it to CIC for the amendment but I found that it takes about 6 months to get the correct one back. Meanwhile, I'm eligible to apply now, should I wait or I may send my application now?

As you know COPR is not required in the citizenship application and even though it seems to me it is a minor issue, I thought that my record should be correct before applying..

thanks
You can apply now with the Original COPR and once you get your AOR, you can always send the updated COPR to CIC using the webform. I did this back in Oct 2017 and had no issues with this approach.

I took my amended COPR plus the original COPR to the interview.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello Folks,

thanks
I expect you can apply now, but it's probably best to add a note to your application to explain that you have sent in the request to correct the COPR and include your actual landing date in that letter (as you'll be using that for your physical presence calculation). That way the reviewing officer knows why the date in their records may not match the one in your calculation.

(If your PR card has the correct date then it's likely to be correct in their system anyway, but it still seems best to include that note. I guess you could include a photocopy of the stamp in your passport from your entry as a PR if you wanted to add some documentation.)

mery15

Aug 12, 2015
You can apply now with the Original COPR and once you get your AOR, you can always send the updated COPR to CIC using the webform. I did this back in Oct 2017 and had no issues with this approach.

I took my amended COPR plus the original COPR to the interview.
Thank you for yoy reply.
That make a lot of sense. Was the COPR, part of the application checklist when you applied? It is not anymore now,,

mery15

Aug 12, 2015
I expect you can apply now, but it's probably best to add a note to your application to explain that you have sent in the request to correct the COPR and include your actual landing date in that letter (as you'll be using that for your physical presence calculation). That way the reviewing officer knows why the date in their records may not match the one in your calculation.

(If your PR card has the correct date then it's likely to be correct in their system anyway, but it still seems best to include that note. I guess you could include a photocopy of the stamp in your passport from your entry as a PR if you wanted to add some documentation.)
Thanks for your reply.
Yes the PR and even the COPR has the correct landing date. The issue was my original entry date to Canada which was few years before my landing, when i came as student.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Sounds like you're basically good to go -- and won't need to add a note clarifying your landing date, as you know they have the right one on file.

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Thank you for yoy reply.
That make a lot of sense. Was the COPR, part of the application checklist when you applied? It is not anymore now,,
No I don't think it was part of checklist but i attached my original. Sorry for the late reply.

Ally81

Jul 2, 2014
We meet all requirements of citizenship in order to apply. However, my toddller docs has problem in his immigration documents where his country of birth is different than where he was born. I noticed this in January 2018. We sent application (IMM5218 – request to amend record of landing……) along with proof of birth to IRCC which they received on January 18, 2018 as per Canada post tracking number.

However, as of now, there is no confirmation or acknowledgement by IRCC regarding this matter and due to this reason alone we have not applied our citizenship application fearing that it will be rejected due to mistake originally done by IRCC regarding country of birth for my kid.

We have called IRCC number, used webform to send them our case by using existing application number (originally on CORP) as well UIC number (on COPR) on the original landing papers (COPR) but to no avail. Most importantly their phone numbers never connect to a live person.

My questions are below:

1) Is it possible to apply for citizenship for all family and ignore (for now) todler. If yes, what are the consequences. May be he is left alone?

2) Do we need to wait and apply later once all documents are complete but IRCC is not replying nor acknowledging documents.

3) Our PR is ending in July 2019 and renewal efforts needs to be done by Oct 2018. Will this effect PR renewal for toddler if IRCC never replies?

I request for your help and sharing of experience in this regard.