October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
hi Twinny,

i received the COPR today. can i ask if you received two copies of the same document? in the letter accompanying the COPR did it list two separately numbered documents that were being sent? IMM5688 & another IMM form i forget the number which may be refered to as a foil?...also, did your COPR have "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" across them?

thank you...we only received two copies of the IMM5688 form (one IRCC copy and one Client copy) and its got the not valid for travel across it in block printer lettering. just checking if this is normal :)
We received the same as you. The other document you're referring to is called a counterfoil and it's only attached to the passports of people who are not visa exempt and actually had to mail their passport in. :) So they probably just have one generic letter they include regardless of whether or not you were actually issued a counterfoil.

Reactions: betterthanyoko

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
So when we login, the first line is "we are processinf your application". The second line is "We are reviewing your eligibility" (?what is that about?). Then "Medical passed"... No fingerprints needed, no interview needed... Then "we have not started processing your BGCheck, we will email you when we do". Our application was received Oct 6. Is it too early to request notes? (And how do I do that?) And what is the Eligibility Requirement about? I am Canadian, my SA was approved way back, both our kids are Canadians, my hubby is American. Thanks for your input :)
Your notes won't tell you anything at this point, especially if background check has not started. To put it in perspective, I had requested notes (just to double check if they were going to extend my medical, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered) they were issued Dec 6, and made it look like my application had not been touched, everything (eligibility, security, criminality) said "not started". Background check started Dec 21, DM and PPR Dec 29. In Mississauga everything happens very fast so the notes don't tell you much at all!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
ok good to know :) im assuming the not valid for travel means not to be used as id but just checking :)
You will keep this document forever after you land, so it's just saying you need to use your actual PR card to travel, you can't take the COPR for example to a flight and show it to the airline as proof of your PR status, you must use the actual PR card.

It's common verbiage for them, also listed on things like visitor records, OWPs, etc.

betterthanyoko

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Ireland
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
31-07-2017
We received the same as you. The other document you're referring to is called a counterfoil and it's only attached to the passports of people who are not visa exempt and actually had to mail their passport in. :) So they probably just have one generic letter they include regardless of whether or not you were actually issued a counterfoil.
thanks.
ive reread the letter a hundred times and there is a mention of "electronic foils IMM5785" for those who are visa exempt:
" Please note that as of December 1, 2011, citizens of visa-exempt countries will not have a counterfoil affixed to their passport. These applicants will only be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) form and an electronic foil (IMM5785)."
but as long as everyone else only received the two identical copies of IMM5688 (client and IRCC) then im happy :)

betterthanyoko

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Ireland
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
31-07-2017
You will keep this document forever after you land, so it's just saying you need to use your actual PR card to travel, you can't take the COPR for example to a flight and show it to the airline as proof of your PR status, you must use the actual PR card.

It's common verbiage for them, also listed on things like visitor records, OWPs, etc.
thank you :) all clear now...this process has made me feel so clueless sometimes. doubting my ability to comprehend. im going to be thrilled once we've landed.

betterthanyoko

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Ireland
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
31-07-2017

also. he has to keep it forever? do they say that somewhere? i mean, i wasnt going to toss it once he gets the card but good toknow!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwardCA

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
thanks.
ive reread the letter a hundred times and there is a mention of "electronic foils IMM5785" for those who are visa exempt:
" Please note that as of December 1, 2011, citizens of visa-exempt countries will not have a counterfoil affixed to their passport. These applicants will only be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) form and an electronic foil (IMM5785)."
but as long as everyone else only received the two identical copies of IMM5688 (client and IRCC) then im happy :)
Ah, in that case, since it says electronic, I'm sure it is just an electronic message attached to your passport they would see upon scanning your passport and pulling up the info, but not anything that is physically issued to you.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
also. he has to keep it forever? do they say that somewhere? i mean, i want going to toss it once he gets the card but good toknow!
Yes, the COPR is the only document he will have that marks the official proof of the date he landed. So he will need it for everything from getting healthcare coverage, getting a SIN number, eventually when/if he applies for citizenship showing how long he has been a PR, etc. When I landed they told me to store the COPR in a safe place forever.

betterthanyoko

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Ireland
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
31-07-2017
Yes, the COPR is the only document he will have that marks the official proof of the date he landed. So he will need it for everything from getting healthcare coverage, getting a SIN number, eventually when/if he applies for citizenship showing how long he has been a PR, etc. When I landed they told me to store the COPR in a safe place forever.
thanks, again. you are a superstar :)

HZB

Aug 22, 2017
Outland - Canadian citizen sponsoring pakistani spouse, no dependants.

My CIC portal is showing follwing things:
Application status We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you. Help - Application status
Review of eligibility We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements. Help - Review of eligibility
Review of medical results You passed the medical exam. Help - Review of medical results
Review of additional documents The additional documents you provided are being reviewed. Help - Review of additional documents
Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Interview
Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes. Help - Biometrics
Background check Not applicable. Help - Background check
Final decision Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

while i received "Invitation to Pre-arrival services" message today

1. We received your application for permanent residence on August 30, 2017.
  2. We started processing your application on November 20, 2017.
  3. We sent you correspondence on October 19, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  4. Medical results have been received.
i am confused now how which more i have to wait!!

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
March 22, 2017 Applicant US Citizen, Mississauga Visa Office.....still nothing. Apparently, another 14 month wait according to CIC officer today that told me anyone applied before December 2017 fell under 26 months not 12.....!!!!!?????

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
March 22, 2017 Applicant US Citizen, Mississauga Visa Office.....still nothing. Apparently, another 14 month wait according to CIC officer today that told me anyone applied before December 2017 fell under 26 months not 12.....!!!!!?????
They meant to say December 2016, not December 2017.

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
I don't know what to think. I've sat here crying for the past 20 minutes. I just can't do this anymore. They can't give ANY reassurance or UPDATED information. We are just a number. I read on here that people from August and September 2017 getting PR and on their way to a life here and I'm just wasting away and lost all hope. I mentally CAN'T do another 14 months or another month at this point. It will be a year March....everything I sent in has expired once already and had to be resent and paid for...I mean what more can they ask for? I've done everything and have zero criminal or record of any kind, medically perfect.....can't see the hold up. I would really like to work and contribute to my life someday, have a future and I've officially lost hope today.