+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missing IRCC Appoitment to Pick Up Renewed PR Card

Sep 17, 2016
Dear Everyone: Got a problem here and hope to get some information or shared experiences. Many thanks in advance.

I am renewing my PR card. Guessing that my case is somewhat complicated, so instead of getting my card in the mail, I received a notice (through email) from IRCC office in Surrey, BC, to pick up my card. Unfortunately, I was traveling oversea with the kid for summer and was not able to come back before the appointment date.

According to the information posted on government website (Topic: What if I cannot attend my appointment with IRCC? Can I reschedule it?), if missing appointment with IRCC, people can send letter through webform or regular mail to re-schedule, which I did both. I got an email acknowledging that my letter sent through webform was forwarded to the office which scheduled the original appointment. Several weeks have passed since then and I have not heard anything about the re-schedule.

I am just wondering if I shall just keep waiting? Or shall I call IRCC and/or dosing something else to follow up?

Thanks again.

Vivien

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
ilovecanada1973 said:
Dear Everyone: Got a problem here and hope to get some information or shared experiences. Many thanks in advance.

I am renewing my PR card. Guessing that my case is somewhat complicated, so instead of getting my card in the mail, I received a notice (through email) from IRCC office in Surrey, BC, to pick up my card. Unfortunately, I was traveling oversea with the kid for summer and was not able to come back before the appointment date.

According to the information posted on government website (Topic: What if I cannot attend my appointment with IRCC? Can I reschedule it?), if missing appointment with IRCC, people can send letter through webform or regular mail to re-schedule, which I did both. I got an email acknowledging that my letter sent through webform was forwarded to the office which scheduled the original appointment. Several weeks have passed since then and I have not heard anything about the re-schedule.

I am just wondering if I shall just keep waiting? Or shall I call IRCC and/or dosing something else to follow up?

Thanks again.

Vivien
What is your timeline if I may ask ? Considering how slow things work with the IRCC, it would've been advisable to apply for a PRTD and return and meet with them by that date, collect your card and then fly out. I wouldnt go with the information posted on their website, as they dont necessarily keep to it.

Sep 17, 2016
vop said:
What is your timeline if I may ask ? Considering how slow things work with the IRCC, it would've been advisable to apply for a PRTD and return and meet with them by that date, collect your card and then fly out. I wouldnt go with the information posted on their website, as they dont necessarily keep to it.

Thanks a lot, VOP, for your comments and suggestion.

I have already come back to Canada and have no plan to travel again soon. The real problem is that I got the notice from IRCC a month ago while I was traveling oversea to pickup my card on Sept. 1st. But I was not able to come back to Canada before that and so I missed the first appointment.

I have sent the request through webform and also mailed a letter to IRCC office to reschedule. So far, no reply. I am wondering if I shall just keep waiting or need to do something else to follow up, like calling IRCC.

Again, any advice and/or shared experiences will be really appreciated.

Vivien.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ilovecanada1973 said:
Thanks a lot, VOP, for your comments and suggestion.

I have already come back to Canada and have no plan to travel again soon. The real problem is that I got the notice from IRCC a month ago while I was traveling oversea to pickup my card on Sept. 1st. But I was not able to come back to Canada before that and so I missed the first appointment.

I have sent the request through webform and also mailed a letter to IRCC office to reschedule. So far, no reply. I am wondering if I shall just keep waiting or need to do something else to follow up, like calling IRCC.

Again, any advice and/or shared experiences will be really appreciated.

Vivien.
Call the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 and explain everything and check what they have to say. Good luck!

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
Call the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 and explain everything and check what they have to say. Good luck!
Yes, call them up and explain your situation that you received the letter but missed your appointment. Or on your letter, if there are contact details of the local office, try contacting that office. What I was asking was when you had applied for your PR card renewal ? I have no idea why IRCC response times are so slow because its just hard to fathom what they do all day. When I go to work, I have to do so much and yet, almost all federal departments seem just poorly run, because if it was just the IRCC, then, we can point the finger at them but its Payroll, Vet admins, Unemployment, Shared Services... And the liberal govt keeps saying change is coming but beyond words, so far, they havent even gone about the process of getting senators appointed. One wonders, can they ever get this right ? I hope so but ... hence, if I were you, would try to go to the local office in person to see what they can do, if that is what your letter stated. Its worth a chance.

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks again, thecoolguysam and VOP. I really appreciate it.

I think I am going to visit the local IRCC office, which I was supposed to pick up my card, next week. In the notice received, it said the office could not accommodate walk-in pick up. So I most probably will not be able to get in. But it is worth a try and I need to know how to get there anyway. If the visit is unsuccessful, I will come back and call.

Here is my time line for the renew.

We received your application for a permanent resident card on May 6, 2016.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 8, 2016.
We started processing your application on July 8, 2016.

I received the pick-up notice on August 22, 2016 and the appointment was on September 1, 2016.

I wish they were as slow in scheduling my appointment as in the other steps, and then I would not miss the appointment. But this is life, I suppose, we sometimes get just opposite what we wish for.

Anyway, wish me good luck and will share the experience next week.

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
ilovecanada1973 said:

I think I am going to visit the local IRCC office, which I was supposed to pick up my card, next week. In the notice received, it said the office could not accommodate walk-in pick up. So I most probably will not be able to get in. But it is worth a try and I need to know how to get there anyway. If the visit is unsuccessful, I will come back and call.

We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 8, 2016.

I received the pick-up notice on August 22, 2016 and the appointment was on September 1, 2016.

I wish they were as slow in scheduling my appointment as in the other steps, and then I would not miss the appointment. But this is life, I suppose, we sometimes get just opposite what we wish for.

Thanks, since u mentioned it, a lot of us are hoping that they move faster as there are many who've been waiting for a year plus for them to look at the file, nm, call for an interview. Its unfortunate you missed the interview letter but I think if you call them up, it will be resolved as your file might already be processed.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ilovecanada1973 said:

Simply visit the office and tell them your situation. Also, in the meanwhile it's best to call the call centre and discuss the same. Don't delay! CIC call centre might can relay information to your local cic office.
Here is a useful link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=786&top=5
Good luck and best wishes!

Sep 17, 2016
I called IRCC today and spoke with an agent without any waiting period, which was quite a surprise.

According to the agent and if I understand correctly, as I missed the first appointment to pick up my card, the local office will automatically schedule a second appointment within 6 months. In order word, they do give a second chance before tossing my card. But it is up to the local office when to schedule the second appointment. It may be in a couple of weeks and may be in a couple of months.

It sounds to me that this second appointment is a given from IRCC. But not sure whether it will the final chance or you can get more by contacting IRCC. But for now, the agent told me to wait and I think that is what I am going to do.

If other people have similar experiences, please share with me and I really appreciate it. I will keep updating the progress on my side as soon as there is something new.

Thanks ALL!

ftlae

Aug 13, 2016
Dear All

I am in same Situation , I have Appointment on 4th August which I missed as I got Letter in my Mail Box only on Aug 12,2016

I am in UAE & applied for PRTD to goback to Canada & Pickup my Card

Below Mail Receuved from IRCC

According to your electronic record it appears your application was approved and the permanent resident card was sent to Etobicoke CIC for distribution. You were scheduled for an appointment to pick up your PR Card on August 4th, 2016 at Etobicoke CIC but it appears you did not attend. If you did not receive the appointment notice you should contact the national call centre as soon as possible. You may also attend Etobicoke CIC Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:30am-3:00pm to obtain your permanent resident card. Please keep in mind there is no guarantee you will be seen the day you attend as there will be other scheduled appointments that day. Please ensure you take sufficient documentation if you choose to attend Etobicoke CIC to obtain your permanent resident card.

This inquiry will now be closed.
UNQUOTE

Sep 17, 2016
ftlae said:
Dear All

I am in same Situation , I have Appointment on 4th August which I missed as I got Letter in my Mail Box only on Aug 12,2016

I am in UAE & applied for PRTD to goback to Canada & Pickup my Card

Below Mail Receuved from IRCC

According to your electronic record it appears your application was approved and the permanent resident card was sent to Etobicoke CIC for distribution. You were scheduled for an appointment to pick up your PR Card on August 4th, 2016 at Etobicoke CIC but it appears you did not attend. If you did not receive the appointment notice you should contact the national call centre as soon as possible. You may also attend Etobicoke CIC Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:30am-3:00pm to obtain your permanent resident card. Please keep in mind there is no guarantee you will be seen the day you attend as there will be other scheduled appointments that day. Please ensure you take sufficient documentation if you choose to attend Etobicoke CIC to obtain your permanent resident card.

This inquiry will now be closed.
UNQUOTE
Thanks ftlae, for sharing your experience with me and others.

It looks like you missed your appointment because the mail was not delivered on time, which is very unfortunate. But the good part is that the IRCC mail you got later mentioned that you can go to local office to try to get your card, which makes the process somewhat under your control. While in my case, the appointment letter specified that the office can not accommodate walk-in pick up. So I am still wondering if I shall go for a try in person.

Anyway, if you do not mind, may I ask, after you got the mail on August 12th and found out the appointment date was already passed, did you contact IRCC? Or did IRCC send you the mail (the one quoted in your message) automatically?

Wish you good luck in PRTD application and a smooth trip to pick your card.

ftlae

Aug 13, 2016
Dear

I contact after mising my Appointment & then they send below Message

Kind Regards

ilovecanada1973 said:

It looks like you missed your appointment because the mail was not delivered on time, which is very unfortunate. But the good part is that the IRCC mail you got later mentioned that you can go to local office to try to get your card, which makes the process somewhat under your control. While in my case, the appointment letter specified that the office can not accommodate walk-in pick up. So I am still wondering if I shall go for a try in person.

Anyway, if you do not mind, may I ask, after you got the mail on August 12th and found out the appointment date was already passed, did you contact IRCC? Or did IRCC send you the mail (the one quoted in your message) automatically?

ftlae

Aug 13, 2016
Please Share Your Experience if you already got Appoinemt or Pickup Renewed Card

ilovecanada1973 said:

Sep 17, 2016
ftlae said:
Please Share Your Experience if you already got Appoinemt or Pickup Renewed Card
Thanks,ftlae, for caring and asking. Unfortunately, nothing has happened on my side. I have not received anything notice from IRCC office for my second appointment and I did not go to the office either.

On the first appointment notice, it was mentioned that the unclaimed PR card would be destroyed 180 days after the first notice. Now, I have informed IRCC through webform and FedEx letter and am actually waiting for the response for another appointment. I am not sure whether the clock is still ticking under this kind of circumstance (I would think you are more or less in the same situation). Assuming it still is, two months have passed since August when the notice was emailed to me.

I am planning to wait for a couple of more weeks and will then go to the local office if I still hear nothing. Meanwhile, hope you have made progress in PRTD application and will get back to Canada soon (already got back).

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
5 years ago I renewed my PR card and had a similar experience.
I was not able to pick up the card on the appointment date. The letter mentioned that in case I could not pick up on the appointment date, I should visit the CIC office within 6 months of the date of letter or else the PR card would be cancelled. I went to the local CIC office about 1 month later ( St. Clair) and presented the letter. Perhaps lucky that day that they accepted it and it was processed and I was able to get my card that same afternoon.

However, I would point out that this was 5 years back and I don't know if procedures have changed. From my recollection of that time, PR card would be kept by CIC only for 6 months from date of issue. I would strongly suggest you go in person to the office and present the letter and book an appointment. That way at least you are dealing with a real human rather than a voice on the phone.