App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
I am applying to sponsor my mom through PGP program. My moms’s husband (not my dad) passed away 15 years ago. She lost his death certificate. She is here with me and unable to get a replacement right now.
Has anyone been in similar situation? How strict would the CIC be about it?if anyone knows.

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
Just to get more context to understand your question: are you sponsoring your mother only? is she widowed at the moment?

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
Just to get more context to understand your question: are you sponsoring your mother only? is she widowed at the moment?
Yes, I am sponsoring my mom (won and invitation to apply). She is widowed at the moment (her latest husband passed away 15 years ago). She is currently in Canada on a super visa.

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
My biological dad is not in the picture, possibly deceased as well. I will be writing an explanation letter about it.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
My biological dad is not in the picture, possibly deceased as well. I will be writing an explanation letter about it.
Dont know the country of origin of your mom ,but a status of a biological father or a deceased husband cannot be obtained simply by addressing a letter you definitely need supporting documents should start contacting her embassy or consulate ,they will advise you what type of document they will be able to provide you with and the length of time that it will take in sequence you can send a letter explaining the delays that it will take you to finalise it and for sure IRCC will respect it

Reactions: Midwest

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
I agree with @citizenshipcanada
You cannot get around the death cert. If you are not able to provide it by December deadline, include a letter of explanation and proof that you made reasonable effort. (e.g. receipts that you applied for it, but can't get the doc within time frame.) It's up to the VO if docs are sufficient to make a decision.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She lost his death certificate. She is here with me and unable to get a replacement right now.
Has anyone been in similar situation? How strict would the CIC be about it?if anyone knows.
You will need to hire someone in home country to get this document or get somehow eg through embassy. You will need it.

You referred to your biological father - were your parents divorced? You should not need documentation about his whereabouts f you have divorce certificate. (If you don't have - get).

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
You will need to hire someone in home country to get this document or get somehow eg through embassy. You will need it.

You referred to your biological father - were your parents divorced? You should not need documentation about his whereabouts f you have divorce certificate. (If you don't have - get).
Yes, they were divorced. Then my mom remarried. Then her second husband passed away 15 years ago. I will probably be able to get this death certificate.
I am not sure if I am able to get my dad’s death certificate. Do I even need it to explain why I am sponsoring him?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, they were divorced. Then my mom remarried. Then her second husband passed away 15 years ago. I will probably be able to get this death certificate.
I am not sure if I am able to get my dad’s death certificate. Do I even need it to explain why I am sponsoring him?
I believe if you indicate that your parents are divorced (with certificate) and that you are only sponsoring your mother, with (r at least explanation and get the) death certificate of her (most recent) husband, there should be no issue.

But I'm not an expert, check the instructions.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I believe if you indicate that your parents are divorced (with certificate) and that you are only sponsoring your mother, with (r at least explanation and get the) death certificate of her (most recent) husband, there should be no issue.
Because I don't think we provided background as to why IRCC wants this:
-spouse for PGP has to be examined at same time, because otherwise an otherwise-ineligible spouse becomes a sort-of liability for govt in future. This is why she has to show spouse has passed.

-previous spouse (your father): if not divorced, then the second marriage would have been a non-marriage (not recognzied) as bigamous.

And I doubt they think through that these concepts potentially cancel each other out. (Probably could argue that if it came to it but you don't want to go there)

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
Because I don't think we provided background as to why IRCC wants this:
-spouse for PGP has to be examined at same time, because otherwise an otherwise-ineligible spouse becomes a sort-of liability for govt in future. This is why she has to show spouse has passed.

-previous spouse (your father): if not divorced, then the second marriage would have been a non-marriage (not recognzied) as bigamous.

And I doubt they think through that these concepts potentially cancel each other out. (Probably could argue that if it came to it but you don't want to go there)
thank you for the input. It’s extremely confusing to chase down deceased people’s documents when I am not even sponsoring them. However, since it’s a requirement, I don’t have a choice.

manasvi_022

Star Member
Mar 2, 2020
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-09-2019
Since you mentioned your mother is in Canada on a Super Visa. Do you remember what you entered in Q.11 in IMM5257e? Usually, you have to list all the details about previous marriages and partner (living or passed away). I would suggest you check your previous forms and see what you entered. If you entered something new this time which you forgot last time may be considered as a Misrepresentation as you failed to provide all the details. They may cancel Super visa as well.

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
Since you mentioned your mother is in Canada on a Super Visa. Do you remember what you entered in Q.11 in IMM5257e? Usually, you have to list all the details about previous marriages and partner (living or passed away). I would suggest you check your previous forms and see what you entered. If you entered something new this time which you forgot last time may be considered as a Misrepresentation as you failed to provide all the details. They may cancel Super visa as well.
I looked through the form. Q11 in IMM 5257 asks about name, address and relationship she will visit. She put my name there.
She put that she is widowed and deceased most recent husband Info. I do not recall to put info about everyone you have ever been married to.
There was definitely no misrepresentation.

manasvi_022

Star Member
Mar 2, 2020
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-09-2019
Q11. is "Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?". What details did you put in here?

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
Q11. is "Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?". What details did you put in here?
Just checked that form. They only had option to put 1 relationship. (Which is the last marriage for my mom when husband passed away).
They did not have an option to put marriages before the most current one. Maybe the form change since 4 years ago but I did no misrepresentation there.