+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missed some travel history but not affecting total absence days

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
As said above, I travelled to a country and then went to other countries from the first country during the same absence from Canada. The totoal absence days are still correct. I just missed some of them in travel history.

surely the passport pages shows everyting. Does it matter?

anakinhay

Feb 14, 2012
I missed some of them too..

So I am thinking of writing an explanation letter explaining my mistakes and be honest about it.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Minor mistakes usually do not cause a problem. Failure to list all countries visited, so long as those trips were otherwise in a period of time declared to be abroad, should be considered a minor mistake of little or no import.

Of course a problem can arise if and when CIC does a comparison of declared travel and stamps in the passport, and notices the discrepancy (no declaration as to entry or exit for the respective country reflected in the passport stamp). But it should be readily recognized that the stamps are dated within a period of time declared abroad and thus should still not cause much of a problem.

If there are other things causing CIC to have concerns, however, then sure, any and all mistakes will contribute to how negatively CIC views things. Any mistake shows the individual's failure to be an entirely accurate reporter of facts, so if there are other problems suggesting, to CIC, compromised credibility, then the little mistakes can become part of that overall picture, one of an individual whose credibility is compromised.

As for the passport pages: they do not show everything and are not relied upon to be complete proof of all travel . . . not by a long shot. When CIC requests the whole passport, the failure to submit it can be a huge problem, but submitting the passport does not necessarily satisfy CIC if CIC has questions. Whether CIC has questions or issues depends on the particular facts of the specific PR's case. If there are questions, if CIC pursues a Residency Determination, proof of place of abode and place of employment in Canada, among other evidence, can be required.

anakinhay

Feb 14, 2012
I have missed a few pages of my passport and missed indicating a few trips especially the USA.
I muse be blind when filling up the application form especially when I was doing that so many times before I submitted.

Now I am so worried CIC will think I am hiding information from them especially if I submit all the stuff they require, i.e all passport pages, record of travel entry/exit.

Any idea what I should write on the cover letter to them when I attach my supporting documents?

Also I submitted my application almost too early when I have like 747 days.. I should have waited longer before I apply. Now I am paranoid…

Any expert advice out there please?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
anakinhay said:
I have missed a few pages of my passport and missed indicating a few trips especially the USA.
I muse be blind when filling up the application form especially when I was doing that so many times before I submitted.

Now I am so worried CIC will think I am hiding information from them especially if I submit all the stuff they require, i.e all passport pages, record of travel entry/exit.

Any idea what I should write on the cover letter to them when I attach my supporting documents?

Also I submitted my application almost too early when I have like 747 days.. I should have waited longer before I apply. Now I am paranoid...

Any expert advice out there please?
I am NOT an expert. While some participants in a forum like this may be experts, generally anything posted in a forum like this (including what I post) should not be considered reliable except to the extent it can be confirmed or otherwise substantiated; that is, posts here are often informative and insightful, but should never be relied upon to be authoritative or definitive (unless obviously so, like a statement that the PR RO is 730 days in five years).

For an expert opinion, see a reputable, licensed Canadian immigration lawyer.

As for your particular situation, the best I can offer is that generally the bigger the mistake, the greater the discrepancies, the more problematic it can be. If one or two trips of short duration were overlooked, that could be an issue but should not be too problematic (see lawyer, however, for more specific assessment). If, however, your declarations leave out an extended period abroad or a significant number of trips, my sense is that it would be best to somehow submit a correction sooner rather than later . . . or withdraw the application and make a new one, including a separate page with the new one explaining that you overlooked some travel in previous application and have corrected them. (Odds are substantial that even if you withdraw the first application, CIC will compare the submissions when processing the second one.)

If the extent of the discrepancies is in-between, you might do as you are thinking and submit a correction. Be brief. Explain you overlooked some travel and are submitting a corrected declaration of absences or a declaration of those absences in addition to those in your original application.

That is the best I can offer . . . and this is NOT an expert's opinion.

Leechina

Mar 18, 2015
Hi! I have a question.....
What can happen if CIC finds inadvertent mistakes in the travel history?
Will CIC give a chance to rectify the mistakes or will it become a punishable crime directly?
Can anyone answer this please?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leechina said:
Hi! I have a question.....
What can happen if CIC finds inadvertent mistakes in the travel history?
Will CIC give a chance to rectify the mistakes or will it become a punishable crime directly?
Can anyone answer this please?
If you made a mistake listing accurate travel dates then but still meet residency requirements then you should be fine except that it may delay the process.

If you made the same mistake and you actually don't meet the requirements then you will be refused and will be RQ'd every time you apply for extension or citizenship.

Only time this may be a crime is if you committed a fraud. Making mistakes and ommissions are serious but not fraud.