+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation due to minor criminal history

sculptor2000

Dec 10, 2020
Hi. I am waiting for AOR. My AR is Nov.4th,2020.
The thing is, in 1998(23 yrs ago) I had paid a $200 fine and I told this to my agent when I got the study permit in 2017. So I put 'Yes' to the question of 'Have you ever committed a crime?'. I was young and stupid and nothing illegal happens my entire life except that.

However, after I came to Canada, I got my PGWP, OINP Nominee, and applied for PR by myself. I checked my criminal background by FBI and it was clean, with no records. So I put 'NO' for the answer to the same question. I just thought the documents should be matching together. I didn't intend to lie. well, maybe I wanted to believe the incident never happen to me.. I don't know, I am so stupid..
And I just found out this is a misrepresentation and it can cause the PR rejection and deportation.
I am writing a letter to CIO, Sydney, and through the webform for apologizing my mistake. I will send the new form of background document and a police record. Is it a good idea? or is there nothing I can do, I'm done here? should I consult a lawyer?
My family will be devastated if we can't get PR because of my mistake. I can't tell this to my family and I am dying here.
If you have any knowledge or experience about this, please let me know. Thank you so much.

Sunny2801

Dec 22, 2017
Hi. I am waiting for AOR. My AR is Nov.4th,2020.
The thing is, in 1998(23 yrs ago) I had paid a $200 fine and I told this to my agent when I got the study permit in 2017. So I put 'Yes' to the question of 'Have you ever committed a crime?'. I was young and stupid and nothing illegal happens my entire life except that.

However, after I came to Canada, I got my PGWP, OINP Nominee, and applied for PR by myself. I checked my criminal background by FBI and it was clean, with no records. So I put 'NO' for the answer to the same question. I just thought the documents should be matching together. I didn't intend to lie. well, maybe I wanted to believe the incident never happen to me.. I don't know, I am so stupid..
And I just found out this is a misrepresentation and it can cause the PR rejection and deportation.
I am writing a letter to CIO, Sydney, and through the webform for apologizing my mistake. I will send the new form of background document and a police record. Is it a good idea? or is there nothing I can do, I'm done here? should I consult a lawyer?
My family will be devastated if we can't get PR because of my mistake. I can't tell this to my family and I am dying here.
If you have any knowledge or experience about this, please let me know. Thank you so much.
I think if you already declared into study permit application and into your pgwp app then sending explanation letter along with clear record is good idea... and also it will not affect your PR application regarding you misrepresent anything coz it’s misunderstanding. Its better to read IRPR sections based on summary offence or others etc. For more clarification. Its good idea to consult with professional lawyer instead of consultant or agent.

sculptor2000

Dec 10, 2020
I think if you already declared into study permit application and into your pgwp app then sending explanation letter along with clear record is good idea... and also it will not affect your PR application regarding you misrepresent anything coz it’s misunderstanding. Its better to read IRPR sections based on summary offence or others etc. For more clarification. Its good idea to consult with professional lawyer instead of consultant or agent.
Thank you for the reply. I sent the explanation letter through web form. I still didn't get AOR, it's been 6 and a half months since AR. Hope everything goes through.

OINP-SE

Aug 31, 2020
Consult an immigration lawyer immediatly if it's so important to you. Don't listen to advice on the internet no matter how well-intentioned they are.

sculptor2000

Dec 10, 2020
Consult an immigration lawyer immediately if it's so important to you. Don't listen to advice on the internet no matter how well-intentioned they are.
True. Everyone's talking differently. It depends on the case and who checks my documents.
It is very important for my family so I talked with the consultant and lawyer. The best thing I can do now is that I sent an affidavit letter explaining why this happened and police reports. Now I will see what the result is and I will update here. Thank you.