Oct 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga and London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/06/2012
So I have a friend who also came to Canada at the same time as me as a PR...however he has experienced a personal tragedy in his life and has become quite depressed...

I advised him that he should go and see the doctor and get some medication maybe possibly...or pay for private counselling..

He remarked that he didn't want to tell the doctor because he was scared that if he did start taking mental health medication it would affect his PR status and eventually prevent him from being able to get Canadian citizenship if it was recorded in his health files he was taking mental health medication.

I dont know myself, so was wondering if anybody has any knowledge if having ongoing treatment for mental health can negatively affect your PR status in any way?

I appreciate any replies on this topic many thanks for reading...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After getting PR, there is no medical any more. Any health problems he has after getting his PR, mental and physical will not have any effect on his PR. The only way he can lose his PR and that goes for everybody would be if he commit a crime, if he is found out to have lied on his PR application or if he fails to meet the residency requirements.

Citizenship is not reserved for those who are in good health either. The requirements for citizenship is having stayed in Canada at least 3 out of the past 4 years, speaking decent English or French and passing the test.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
The requirements for citizenship is having stayed in Canada at least 3 out of the past 4 years, speaking decent English or French and passing the test.
The language requirement is only applicable to applicants between 18 and 54.