+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

meet 730 obligation outside canada

cantrue

Jun 26, 2013
Hi leon,

my spouse and my sons are now in canada to meet citizenship requirement. but I am still in my country. we all are PR and the card are still active.

i will not meet my 730days. but i really want to renew it in the future. since i am from NON visa-exempt country, i will not be able to enter canada once my PR expired, the nearest i can go is USA since i still have my US visa valid.

as i have read on this forum that we can "postpone" the PR renewal until we can meet the 730 days, what i will try to do is to have my spouse and my children back to my country and stay with me for 730 days, caused i learnt that stay with Canadian Citizen outside Canada still consider the same as staying inside canada and can help the 730 days. is that possible ?

and if this is possible, and they ask me to pick up the card in canada, how can i travel into canada ? off course i can always go via USA and drive in to canada, but again i will travel with my expired card.

Please help caused if i have to be sponsored "again" it will take months or years with many paperworks, test and cost.

Thank you once again leon

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, this is a possibility.

You would have to wait until your spouse gets citizenship.

Once your spouse has citizenship, your spouse should join you in your country.

Once you have a mix of 730 days in Canada and spent with your spouse overseas after your spouse became a Canadian citizen that in you can prove in the past 5 years, you may apply to renew your PR card.

Note that a PR card renewal application must originate within Canada so you either have to apply for a travel document and then return to Canada in order to apply for the PR card renewal or you send your PR renewal application to a friend in Canada and have them mail it in for you.

You may be asked to pick up your PR card in person so in that case, you would need a travel document to return to Canada or you enter from the US at the land border.

In order for this to work, you must not have lost your PR at any point before this. If ever you are reported on entry to Canada for not having met the residency requirements and you do not appeal or you lose your appeal, you would lose your PR. If you were to apply for a travel document or a PR card at any point before you have 730 days in the past 5 years and you are refused / lose appeal, you would lose your PR. If you have lost your PR already, it will not help you any more if you spend 730 days with your spouse and then try to renew because your PR was already gone.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
So hypothetically speaking, let's say a PR has stayed out of Canada for, say, 10 years (his PR status never revoked). If he gets married with a Canadian at his home country, then after staying two years (731 days) continuously outside Canada with his wife, his PR status should be once again in good standing, and he should not have any problems applying for a travel document, right? This is assuming, of course, that the guy is not inadmissible to Canada for any other reasons.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asbereth said:
So hypothetically speaking, let's say a PR has stayed out of Canada for, say, 10 years (his PR status never revoked). If he gets married with a Canadian at his home country, then after staying two years (731 days) continuously outside Canada with his wife, his PR status should be once again in good standing, and he should not have any problems applying for a travel document, right? This is assuming, of course, that the guy is not inadmissible to Canada for any other reasons.
Yes, that's right. Same as if a PR who has been outside Canada for years but whose PR status was never revoked somehow got into Canada, lived in Canada for 731 days that they can prove, they could apply to renew their PR card .

cantrue

Jun 26, 2013
Thank you for the Helpful info Leon,

Say that i can send the renewal application from inside canada thru my friend, means i will not hold the Physical PR Card with me no more.

So by the time they ask me to pick up the new card, i can go to US and by land to canada. my question is : will the immigration officer allow me to enter canada to pick up the renewal card ?

This is the worst scenario, just in case the embassy doesn't want to give me TC.

Thank you once again.....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you decide to go the US route, you should not apply for a travel document. You should take your landing papers and your letter to pick up the PR card and present that to Canada immigration at the US border. They will let you enter.

If you decide to go for a travel document and the embassy refuses it, you must appeal that. If you do not appeal, your PR will be revoked for good and you would then not be able to take the US route as a back up and pick up your PR card. This happened to someone on this forum recently.

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
what I feel is as a Canadian Citizen your spouse can sponser you for PR
so you can get again PR

why don't you think in this way?

cantrue

Jun 26, 2013
thank you leon for your reply.. VERY helpful......

Hi Vats, i am now still PR, and the reason i asked leon caused i want to avoid the long waiting time for the RE-SPONSOR visa proses, test, medical, etc....