+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medium of instruction not explicit

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Dear Experts,

Need some help with my Citizenship application

I do not have IELTS "General Training" report. I did my Bachelor's and Master's from India but the transcripts don't explicitly state that the language of instruction was English.
1. Do these mark sheets/transcripts count as acceptable language proof?
2. Does the document explicitly need to state that the language of instruction was English in the university or is implied from the mark sheet/transcript being in English?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Dear Experts,

Need some help with my Citizenship application

I do not have IELTS "General Training" report. I did my Bachelor's and Master's from India but the transcripts don't explicitly state that the language of instruction was English.
1. Do these mark sheets/transcripts count as acceptable language proof?
2. Does the document explicitly need to state that the language of instruction was English in the university or is implied from the mark sheet/transcript being in English?

Your inputs would be appreciated.
Well, this is what the IRCC website says.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
The program can be in or outside Canada.

If you did, send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French
You can send them the degree + consolidated marksheet, if you have one (don't send all the mark sheets).

I used my IELTS so I am not 100% on this. May be someone who submitted their transcripts/degree can provide more information about this.

Good luck!

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I am not from India and don't know in how many languages you can do your study in India. From my own experience, my wife and I submited our degrees and transcripts all in french and no where it says the major of study was french and we didn't have any problem with that. Note that French is the only official language in my home country.