+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicals from U.S. - urgent

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Hello,

Received ITA on 19th Apr & my last date of PR application submission is 18th July, 23:59.

I was asked by my consultant to get the medicals done about a month before the submission date.

I currently reside in the USA and was looking up list of approved panel physicians and looks like my state has only 1. To make matters worse, the earliest open slot they have is for 18th July. They also say that they would e-mail the results to CIC online within 7-10 days, which would be by July end.

Question - is it mandatory per process to send online results to CIC before application for PR gets submitted?

Or i am good considering medical check up would be completed before the 3 month deadline gets over and Results could land post application submission?

Please guide.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
I think you should be ok - as long as you finish the medical and upload the info sheet and rest of the documents before the 90 day deadline it is fine. In any case going by current backlog, they will not even look at your application for a couple of weeks after submission.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
If it's on the same date but risky - I would advice you to see if there are any slots for Medicals in a neighboring state - you don't want to be stuck for non submission because of a screw up from their end - if there are any errors on your medical sheet

EhhCanada

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
I agree with above post dont push till end and even though you are done with medicals on 18th they might take a week to give you the proof to upload and if thats the case you will cross the 90 day limit you mentioned.

Better look around in the neighboring states and drive up there.
BTW what state are you in

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
I agree with above post dont push till end and even though you are done with medicals on 18th they might take a week to give you the proof to upload and if thats the case you will cross the 90 day limit you mentioned.

Better look around in the neighboring states and drive up there.
BTW what state are you in
Thanks all..
I am in Washington and I looked up but they don't have any physician in Oregon, Montana, Idaho or Nevada. They have 3 in California. It's going to be a costly affair for me since I will need to fly over to LA or San Diego.. Plus, 461$ medical fee per person. They don't even accept insurance..
Nevertheless, PR assumes the highest priority so will do this.

Any other alternative? So you mean to say that medical reports need to be uploaded with application form submission before 90 day deadline? This physician in Seattle says they will directly email report to CIC

4RyL

Jun 6, 2017
Hello,

Received ITA on 19th Apr & my last date of PR application submission is 18th July, 23:59.

I was asked by my consultant to get the medicals done about a month before the submission date.

I currently reside in the USA and was looking up list of approved panel physicians and looks like my state has only 1. To make matters worse, the earliest open slot they have is for 18th July. They also say that they would e-mail the results to CIC online within 7-10 days, which would be by July end.

Question - is it mandatory per process to send online results to CIC before application for PR gets submitted?

Or i am good considering medical check up would be completed before the 3 month deadline gets over and Results could land post application submission?

Please guide.
Look nearby state... or any where you can get it earlier....just drive or take a flight to complete it

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
Do your medical exam in Vancouver, British Columbia. I live in Seattle too, and that's what I did! Vancouver is only a few hours' drive away, and they have about two dozen Panel Physicians so you can get an appointment much quicker-- I was able to get an appointment for the same week. Plus with the exchange rate, it costs about HALF what that Seattle doctor is charging, and the results are ready in 3 days compared to 7-10 days for the Seattle doctor. Just call around to a few of the Vancouver doctors to see where you can get the soonest appointment and best price. You are not required to do the exam in your country of residence. The doctor will transmit his report to IRCC via the eMedical system, but you will get a print-out sheet confirming that you had the exam-- and you must upload that document as part of your application.

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Book for July 18 slot, and keep calling them and ask if an earlier slot is available. Sometimes people cancel appointments, so you may get an earlier date.They aren't like regular clinics and just do this immigration thing full time. So they should have some flexibility.

I'm not sure if it's worth flying for this. God forbid, if you need furtherance tests by any chance, you'll have fly there again. Even high bp on test day could trigger furtherance. So better to avoid traveling too far.

Just ask them when they'd provide acknowledgment. If they are doing emedical, you should get acknowledgment immediately as physicians need to create a case in the application before doing the tests. If you can confirm that, you can go ahead and take it on July 18.Make sure that everything in the acknowledgment is exactly matching with your passport before leaving the clinic. You can ask your consultant to be ready with everything else for submission. You could send him the acknowledgment scan as soon as you finish the medical.

Results submission is not your issue and it's beyond your control. You can go ahead and submit even next minute after finishing medical. All cic need is that acknowledgment form with umi number. If cic doesn't find something, they'll reach to clinic directly.

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Do your medical exam in Vancouver, British Columbia. I live in Seattle too, and that's what I did! Vancouver is only a few hours' drive away, and they have about two dozen Panel Physicians so you can get an appointment much quicker. Plus with the exchange rate, it costs about HALF what that Seattle doctor is charging, and the results are ready in 3 days compared to 7-10 days for the Seattle doctor. Just call around to a few of the Vancouver doctors to see where you can get the soonest appointment and best price. You are not required to do the exam in your country of residence. The doctor will transmit his report to IRCC via the eMedical system, but you will get a print-out sheet confirming that you had the exam-- and you must upload that document as part of your application.
Do you have US passport or any other passport that gives visa free entry to Canada? If OP isn't from visa waiver country, he'd need travel visa to cross borders.

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
Do you have US passport or any other passport that gives visa free entry to Canada? If OP isn't from visa waiver country, he'd need travel visa to cross borders.
Yes I do-- that's a good point. If he or she isn't from a visa waiver country this won't work. Even for me, the US border guards were suspicious when I came back to the US... "You went to Canada for a medical exam? Why do you want to get permanent residence in Canada??" Um, do I really need to answer that question? o_O

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Book for July 18 slot, and keep calling them and ask if an earlier slot is available. Sometimes people cancel appointments, so you may get an earlier date.They aren't like regular clinics and just do this immigration thing full time. So they should have some flexibility.

I'm not sure if it's worth flying for this. God forbid, if you need furtherance tests by any chance, you'll have fly there again. Even high bp on test day could trigger furtherance. So better to avoid traveling too far.

Just ask them when they'd provide acknowledgment. If they are doing emedical, you should get acknowledgment immediately as physicians need to create a case in the application before doing the tests. If you can confirm that, you can go ahead and take it on July 18.Make sure that everything in the acknowledgment is exactly matching with your passport before leaving the clinic. You can ask your consultant to be ready with everything else for submission. You could send him the acknowledgment scan as soon as you finish the medical.

Results submission is not your issue and it's beyond your control. You can go ahead and submit even next minute after finishing medical. All cic need is that acknowledgment form with umi number. If cic doesn't find something, they'll reach to clinic directly.

I see. However, CIC mentions below on their website w.r.t medical exams. The NOTE at the end makes me feel that CIC is looking for exam reports to be presented to them at the time of submission -

"You will also need -

1. Medical exams

Do not complete any medical exam until you get an invitation to apply. You must have a medical exam before you can become a permanent resident. Your family members must also have one, even if they are not coming with you.

We will not approve your permanent resident application if your health:

is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety, or
would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada.
When the panel physician completes the medical exam, they will either give you an information printout sheet, or an IMM 1017B Upfront Medical Report form. You must provide a copy the document they gave you when you apply online.

Note:The results of your exam must be valid at the time you submit your application for permanent residence. For this reason, it is a good idea to complete the exam as close as possible to the date you submit your online application."

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Do your medical exam in Vancouver, British Columbia. I live in Seattle too, and that's what I did! Vancouver is only a few hours' drive away, and they have about two dozen Panel Physicians so you can get an appointment much quicker-- I was able to get an appointment for the same week. Plus with the exchange rate, it costs about HALF what that Seattle doctor is charging, and the results are ready in 3 days compared to 7-10 days for the Seattle doctor. Just call around to a few of the Vancouver doctors to see where you can get the soonest appointment and best price. You are not required to do the exam in your country of residence. The doctor will transmit his report to IRCC via the eMedical system, but you will get a print-out sheet confirming that you had the exam-- and you must upload that document as part of your application.
Unfortunately, i do not have a US passport or a Canadian tourist visa.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I see. However, CIC mentions below on their website w.r.t medical exams. The NOTE at the end makes me feel that CIC is looking for exam reports to be presented to them at the time of submission -

"You will also need -

1. Medical exams

Do not complete any medical exam until you get an invitation to apply. You must have a medical exam before you can become a permanent resident. Your family members must also have one, even if they are not coming with you.

When the panel physician completes the medical exam, they will either give you an information printout sheet, or an IMM 1017B Upfront Medical Report form. You must provide a copy the document they gave you when you apply online.

Note:The results of your exam must be valid at the time you submit your application for permanent residence. For this reason, it is a good idea to complete the exam as close as possible to the date you submit your online application."
You are misunderstanding it. Medicals are valid for one year from the day you do it. After that one needs a new medical. If the application is under process and if the medicals expire, then they'll request a new medicals again. The time given to land after your pr approval is exactly your medical date plus one year. This is the reason everyone is suggesting to keep medical as close to application submission so that one can avoid redoing if there are processing delays as well as have enough time to land.

What they are meaning in note is that it shouldn't be expired while submitting the application.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017

"You will also need -

1. Medical exams

Hi,

What was the final outcome. I live in Seattle too and have received ITA 4 days back. I am planning to call them tomorrow morning and book an appointment. If they do not have anything in the next 2 months, I plan to drive to Berkeley which is a 12 hrs drive. It is the nearest one that I have found. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Exam reports are not required at the time of submission. The clinic will provide you with a paper form (that has the UMI#) on the day ypu take the medical tests. Medical reports validity is 1 year so you might want to get it done in the 3rd month after you have received an ITA. But keep in mind that there are very limited clinics so book a slot in advance. I was getting a slot in Seattle clinic but that just 1 day before my actual submission date. I did not wish to take a risk so I flew to California to get the tests done.

Hi,

What was the final outcome. I live in Seattle too and have received ITA 4 days back. I am planning to call them tomorrow morning and book an appointment. If they do not have anything in the next 2 months, I plan to drive to Berkeley which is a 12 hrs drive. It is the nearest one that I have found. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.