+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical: will past cancer make me inadmissible?

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Hi Guys! I am on the boat. Hope someone could help me. I was born with heart condition but no longer taking any medication since 7 years old. I am now 27 years old. I don't have any medical records since my mom died when I was in Highschool. I don't know anything about my heart condition but I declared it on my medical exam believinh I should be truthful with all my records. Do you think IRCC will ask for medical history report etc? I am so worried. Hope someone could help me.
Not an expert on this and I don't know your situation, but you did the right thing in reporting it. If you haven't required any treatment for it in 20 years and you don't have a negative prognosis in the near future I am not even sure if they will ask for follow up. It depends on the situation as I understand. If they do ask for follow up and you don't have documentation, I don't think that is an issue. They would probably specify a test or consultation that they want you to get, I'm guessing.

Also, idk if you saw this but Canada tripled the cost threshold for medical inadmissibility in 2018 and this has significantly reduced the number of people rejected for burden of care reasons. You would need a lot of healthcare to hit the new threshold. https://www.ackahlaw.com/news/changes-to-canadas-medical-inadmissibility-policies

kimlopez

Apr 1, 2021
Not an expert on this and I don't know your situation, but you did the right thing in reporting it. If you haven't required any treatment for it in 20 years and you don't have a negative prognosis in the near future I am not even sure if they will ask for follow up. It depends on the situation as I understand. If they do ask for follow up and you don't have documentation, I don't think that is an issue. They would probably specify a test or consultation that they want you to get, I'm guessing.

Also, idk if you saw this but Canada tripled the cost threshold for medical inadmissibility in 2018 and this has significantly reduced the number of people rejected for burden of care reasons. You would need a lot of healthcare to hit the new threshold. https://www.ackahlaw.com/news/changes-to-canadas-medical-inadmissibility-policies
Thank you for this! Gave me so much hope. Stay safe!!

bhargavi123

Jul 17, 2018
Hi Guys! I am on the boat. Hope someone could help me. I was born with heart condition but no longer taking any medication since 7 years old. I am now 27 years old. I don't have any medical records since my mom died when I was in Highschool. I don't know anything about my heart condition but I declared it on my medical exam believinh I should be truthful with all my records. Do you think IRCC will ask for medical history report etc? I am so worried. Hope someone could help me.
May I know , if you had proceeded further and applied for PR? My child has heart condition. I really would want to know if she is eligible or not?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
May I know , if you had proceeded further and applied for PR? My child has heart condition. I really would want to know if she is eligible or not?
Impossible for anyone to guess without knowing what type of heart condition, what his prognosis and what his ongoing treatment is and whether future surgeries may be needed.

kiwitocanada

Sep 6, 2021
I was diagnosed with a sarcoma in January 2018 and my AOR was Aug 2018. Had to disclose it for my medical and they required a report from my oncologist. They set out what they require. They said I wouldn't exceed the threshold and passed my medicals
Hi there,

I have a similar situation here. Except that I sat my medical and submitted my application in March this year. Not long after I found a lump in my leg and was diagnosed with sarcoma in mid-April.

I've since been through treatment, and am in remission as of early August. Obviously this is not super ideal with it being so recent, but they're due to start processing applications from March shortly, so I need to let them know soon.

Any idea whether I need to re-sit the medical? Or can I just upload an oncology report?

Chipo21

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
App. Filed.......
26-08-2018
I would contact the doctors where you had your medical done. My oncologist was provided with a form to complete that set out what they required in his report. This was uploaded directly by the doctor that did my medical and not via the portal we have access too

Poppy514

Oct 20, 2022
Hi @zerib, sorry to dig up this conversation, but i am in the exact situation than the one you were in. Non Hodgkin lymphoma diagnosed last year in 2021 and hopefully in remission since 11 months. I hope you're still in remission too :) I have the medical exam for permanent residency in 2 weeks and no one can let me know if this will be rejected because of the cancer. The medical exam is 340 $, so i wish i could know in advance.
Could you let us know how it went for you ? Thank you so much !

Pearl_Mocha

Dec 8, 2022
Hi Poppy514, how's your medical exam going? Any updates on your PR application? We have a similar case. I am hoping that you got approved soon so we can also feel the positive vibes on our PR application in the future. Thank you for sharing.

Poppy514

Oct 20, 2022
Hi Pearl_Mocha, i replied to your private message, but if it can help others : i am still in process with IRCC. It took a long time to get my whole medical record from the hospital and the letter from my oncologist.
My advice for everyone in this situation would be to collect a letter from their oncologist asap and the whole medical report from the hospital (I went to the medical exam with just the report of the tep scan showing remission, but this was not enough for them). You can save a lot of time if you go to the medical exam with all these papers.
Good luck with your application!

Reactions: Pearl_Mocha

Didzsam

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hi All, I think this is my last chance to make my father visit Canada and see his grandchild. Please help me.

My father is a multiple myeloma patient. He is applying for a super visa and we were asked to submit an oncology report. Fathers' doctors are not very sure about how detailed this report should be. They are telling us that multiple myeloma does not have stages. They are asking us what we need to write there.

Can anybody send me a sample of the oncology report that you submitted, and was sufficient? below is what the referral letter askes,

A medical report from an oncologist is required. The applicant is reported to have multiple myeloma. We require a report clarifying/ confirming the applicant's diagnosis(including TNM classification and stage), management/ treatment needs (past, present, and over the next 5 years), and prognosis (including the likelihood of recurrence and an estimated 5-year survival rate) <if appropriate consider adding: please include your opinion on whether the applicant is likely to require therapy with a biologic medication within next 5 years>

Thank you all in advance!!

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi All, I think this is my last chance to make my father visit Canada and see his grandchild. Please help me.

My father is a multiple myeloma patient. He is applying for a super visa and we were asked to submit an oncology report. Fathers' doctors are not very sure about how detailed this report should be. They are telling us that multiple myeloma does not have stages. They are asking us what we need to write there.

Can anybody send me a sample of the oncology report that you submitted, and was sufficient? below is what the referral letter askes,

A medical report from an oncologist is required. The applicant is reported to have multiple myeloma. We require a report clarifying/ confirming the applicant's diagnosis(including TNM classification and stage), management/ treatment needs (past, present, and over the next 5 years), and prognosis (including the likelihood of recurrence and an estimated 5-year survival rate) <if appropriate consider adding: please include your opinion on whether the applicant is likely to require therapy with a biologic medication within next 5 years>

Thank you all in advance!!
Hi, sorry to hear about your father's difficulties with the visa and hope he receives a positive reply soon. As for the report, I have never actually seen one, but I believe the doctors should include as much information as possible. It looks like the referral letter is a template that they send to everyone in this kind of situation. So, if your father's myeloma does not have stages, then of course the doctors just need to mention his diagnosis and anything else that could offer some clarification on the type/prognosis/treatment etc. In terms of prognosis, maybe the doctors are not 100% certain, but they could write something like: "in my experience, this type of myeloma...". Nobody will expect them to give an exact, 100% accurate prognosis.

So the letter could be something along the lines of: diagnosis, date of diagnosis, type of myeloma (if applicable), any treatment already done, any future treatment planned, likely prognosis (based on doctors' knowledge/experience), likelihood of your father needing therapy with biologic medication within the next 5 years.

This is not an expert opinion, but hope it helps you a little. Good luck!!

Reactions: Didzsam

SSGS

Apr 5, 2024
Hello All,

I am in a situation where my daughter had Cancer when she was 1 year old and in complete remission after she completed her treatment. for the past 4.5 years she is in remission and I applied for PR (Inland) and declared all her medical history via IME medical exam. reading messages in the forum was very helpful, hoping we will get approved as well. If anyone recently applied and got approved would like to connect or hear your inputs.