+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Validity

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
"How long your medical results are good for?
Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you don’t come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#long

Above test is copied from IRCC website.

Does anyone know:
What if the person is already in Canada on work permit etc. Does he/she still need to re-do medical, if medical expired before COPR is received OR after COPR but before PR card?

Is there a way to request medical extension, if the medical was done in Canada, and the person is already in Canada?

Also the above test is not very clear. Is the medical is valid for 12 months from date of medical test/ from date it was submitted by panel doctor OR from the date the person passed medical?

Last edited:

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
If you have already submitted your medical with the application you need not worry about medical expiry. IRCC will contact you need to retake medical

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
So after some re search and talking with IRCC call center, I found the answers of my questions.

I am posting it here for reference of other members.

1. Yes, if the medical expires before you receive COPR (regardless you are in Canada or not) then you will have to re do the medical.
2. There is no way for you to request. The officer may grant extension on case by case basis, but that is on their discretion.
3. As you can see, the rule is not super clear on IRCC website; In my case the validity for medical was granted 1 year from date of passing the medical.