+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Surveillance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question regarding the medical examination requirement for my first visit to Canada. I am planning to travel to Canada for the first time at the end of April and stay there for around 1.5 months. At that time, my medical examination is still valid. After that, I will need to return to my home country for a period of 2 months and then come back to Canada at the end of August. At that point, my medical examination will have expired.

I would like to know if a medical examination is only required for the first visit to Canada to issue a work permit, or if it is required to show for subsequent visits as well.
Only required for the first entry although can be required for subsequent applications or visitor extensions. You do not need to do another medical. What type of WP do you have and how did you qualify for one? It is very unusual to do a short landing for a WP.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
Only required for the first entry although can be required for subsequent applications or visitor extensions. You do not need to do another medical. What type of WP do you have and how did you qualify for one? It is very unusual to do a short landing for a WP.
Hi @canuck78,

Thank you for your response. My current visa type is an open work permit (W1) which is valid until the end of next year. My work pass is issued based on my spouse's study permit. I am planning to enter Canada at the end of this month to issue my work permit. After that, I will need to leave Canada for a period of 2 months before returning at the end of August for my final migration. However, I am concerned that my medical examination will be expired at the time of my return and may cause issues with the border officer.

Furthermore, I have received a Medical Surveillance notice and have contacted the team to clarify my situation. They have advised me to send an email with my address when I return to Canada. They never said that I couldn't leave Canada for certain periods with medical surveillance. However, I am afraid that the border office will ask questions for medical surveillance if I won't complete it by the time when I return to Canada. That is the reason I have asked about a soft landing experience in medical surveillance notice in this group as well.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate any guidance or advice you can provide.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
Hi @canuck78,

Thank you for your response. My current visa type is an open work permit (W1) which is valid until the end of next year. My work pass is issued based on my spouse's study permit. I am planning to enter Canada at the end of this month to issue my work permit. After that, I will need to leave Canada for a period of 2 months before returning at the end of August for my final migration. However, I am concerned that my medical examination will be expired at the time of my return and may cause issues with the border officer.

Furthermore, I have received a Medical Surveillance notice and have contacted the team to clarify my situation. They have advised me to send an email with my address when I return to Canada. They never said that I couldn't leave Canada for certain periods with medical surveillance. However, I am afraid that the border office will ask questions for medical surveillance if I won't complete it by the time when I return to Canada. That is the reason I have asked about a soft landing experience in medical surveillance notice in this group as well.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate any guidance or advice you can provide.
any input from you?