+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Services Plan (MSP) enrolment question

canuser

Dec 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a question for those of you who have landed. How long did it take to get medical coverage?

We submitted an application and just recieved a letter that asked us to get a BC ID.

Does anyone have any information about the MSP process - or any advice on what to do during the process of waiting for enrolment?

We are thinking of getting private medical insurance while we wait. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experiences. Maybe @joes or @Jaywill might know?!

Thanks so much :)

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Hi. Your coverage will start after two months + the remaining of the month counting from the day the person lands. So if you landed in April, your coverage would start in July. At ICBC they will take the photo and enter the information in the system, then they will give you a paper with your Personal Health Number, but you won't get the BC Services Card until you get the PR card. Once you get the PR card, you can go to ICBC again and show them the PR card, only at that point they will give you the BC Services Card. Until then, you will have to use the paper they give you instead of the BC Services card if you go to a clinic or whatever.

Reactions: canuser

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I have a question for those of you who have landed. How long did it take to get medical coverage?

We submitted an application and just recieved a letter that asked us to get a BC ID.

Does anyone have any information about the MSP process - or any advice on what to do during the process of waiting for enrolment?

We are thinking of getting private medical insurance while we wait. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experiences. Maybe @joes or @Jaywill might know?!

Hi

Are you already in BC? Have you already landed or are you still waiting for approval?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many people get medical insurance while they wait to cover emergencies. You would still have to pay for regular visits if needed but the expense will be minimal.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone,

I've emailed them asking what you're asking for when I head back and they gave some good info, send them a message at mspenquiries@hibc.gov.bc.ca

canuser

Dec 7, 2017
Hi @cancuk_in_uk thanks for the response!

Yes we landed on March 16th and applied for MSP. We got a letter yesterday stating we could pick up our id card.

@canuck78 - yes we looked up the visitors medical. And found it covers mostly emergency visits to the hospital, but we had a dr’s visit. For those who are curious, we paid $60 to see the doctor and get a prescription today.

@Canadian.In.NZ. thank you for the email!

Currently, we found out the medical enrollment is in process and we got his health care number today at the drivers lincense office... but when we went to the doctor and they put in his card number, they said health insurance hasn’t started yet.

So that is where we are at now. The MSP office couldn’t give us a timeline but guesses we will have coverage on June 1st.

Does anyone know how long is takes to have coverage started (in their experience) not what the website says :)

Thanks for all your help everyone!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @cancuk_in_uk thanks for the response!

Yes we landed on March 16th and applied for MSP. We got a letter yesterday stating we could pick up our id card.
You say "we landed". Who actually landed? Were you already living in BC or did you actually move here on the 16th?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will likely just have to pay the $60. It is a minimal cost. You would have to pay way more in other countries. As specified before MSP coverage starts 2 months plus the remaining days of the last month until you get coverage. Likely somewhere between 60-90 days.

canuser

Dec 7, 2017
@canuck_in_uk my husband landed. Im a BC resident already.

@canuck78 - Yes $60.00 is decent enough. Ok so it looks like 2 months waiting period is set in stone. I was just wondering if others got it any sooner, but what im understanding is that the 2-3 month period is mandatory.

Thanks for your help.