+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exams for Extension of stay can be used in applying for WP?!?

BongMabangis

Jun 25, 2011
hello everyone, ;D

Just hoping that somebody could give me a good advice here. i arrived here last February 2012, then one month before my 6-month lapsed (July) i requested specifically for 3 months extension of stay BUT to my amazement i was given until September 2013 to stay and was required to take my medical examination within 90 days. I took my medical examination last October 2012 and continued my vacation here hoping from one province to another visiting friends. According to a lot of people i met, i could change my status from visitor to worker if i can find an employer that could offer me an LMO so i can get my work permit and work legally here in Canada. Since i am already here, so why not give it a try. Now my questions are: :eek:

1. I was able to find a prospect employer that has an open LMO for Labourer in a fabrication shop and is willing to hire me, what docs i need to prepare/submit in case i finally decided to apply?

2. Will my medical examination last October 2012 still valid when I eventually apply for a work permit? Or the medical examination for worker is different?

3. If eventually my LMO comes out, is it safe to do the "flag pole" to get my work permit on same day at the border or just send my application to the US and wait for 4-6 weeks processing. I have a valid US visa but my Canada visa already expired on March 2012 so all i got is my temporary residence permit (extension of stay) valid until September 2013.

4. Wha are the do's and don'ts during interview if i decided to do the flagpole?

Thanks everyone, am hoping somebody could give me first hand experience i have now. More power to this site and GOD BLESS US ALL. ;)

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BongMabangis said:
hello everyone, ;D
Just hoping that somebody could give me a good advice here. i arrived here last February 2012, then one month before my 6-month lapsed (July) i requested specifically for 3 months extension of stay BUT to my amazement i was given until September 2013 to stay and was required to take my medical examination within 90 days.
CONGRATULATIONS on good fortune!

According to a lot of people i met, i could change my status from visitor to worker if i can find an employer that could offer me an LMO so i can get my work permit and work legally here in Canada.
Well you have legal status in Canada and you were allowed to stay 6mos+ so technically you may apply from inside Canada. Typically first time WP applications are sent to the country of residence of the applicant, but granted you have legal status in the country now and allowed temp residence as a visitor for 6+ months - you can certainly try applying in-country. Just be prepared to obtain the PCCs if you were requested.

1. I was able to find a prospect employer that has an open LMO for Labourer in a fabrication shop and is willing to hire me, what docs i need to prepare/submit in case i finally decided to apply?
Start here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp - requirements are listed.

2. Will my medical examination last October 2012 still valid when I eventually apply for a work permit? Or the medical examination for worker is different?
See here - medical examination requirements are the same for temp residents (technically you are a temp resident)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp
Generally medical exam results are valid for a year but there may have been recent changes (emedical etc.) that may include new screening tests - so you may be asked to redo a medical exam. But this will be known after you file an application.

3. If eventually my LMO comes out, is it safe to do the "flag pole" to get my work permit on same day at the border or just send my application to the US and wait for 4-6 weeks processing. I have a valid US visa but my Canada visa already expired on March 2012 so all i got is my temporary residence permit (extension of stay) valid until September 2013.
4. Wha are the do's and don'ts during interview if i decided to do the flagpole?
An excellent guide to flagpoling has been created by ThreeSquareImm - see here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/flagpoling-a-guide-for-canadian-workers-t142161.0.html;msg2208786#msg2208786

/all the best...

BongMabangis

Jun 25, 2011
thanks kabayan fulgar,
it seems na you've been on same situation based on your signature below. if you dont mind, can i ask for ur email or fb account for private message para di nman masyado humaba ang thread ko hehehe.
thanks again for the advice. my email add is bongmabangis@yahoo.com

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BongMabangis said:
thanks kabayan fulgar,
it seems na you've been on same situation based on your signature below. if you dont mind, can i ask for ur email or fb account for private message para di nman masyado humaba ang thread ko hehehe.
thanks again for the advice. my email add is bongmabangis @ yahoo.com
Just PM using the functions here. I do not use FB as hiring managers now do background checks on FB; i only use LinkedIn and do not give out my email address.

As to my signature, my TRV was granted during my pre-interviews for a WP. Before my company hired me, we agreed that I should meet in person the team and the managers before I decided to sign on. I returned back and then applied for the WP in Manila, not inland.

/all the best...