+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Examination - When to get it???

Lyx

Oct 4, 2010
Hello everyone

I am being sponsored by my husband, and have now got all the paperwork I need except the medical examination, and I am now completely confused as to when to get it???
I just called the Designated Medical Practitioner in Denmark, where I live, to get an appointment. He told me that once he has the results he will send it straight to the High Commission in London, however by then my case/application should still be in Mississauga as we've been told it takes them at least nine months to process everything. If the doctor sends my medical directly to London, and they don't have my case yet, how will they identify me and also won't it expire by the time I get a visa? But if the papers says I am supposed to have proof that I did get a medical before sending it to my husband, won't I be refused until they have such proof? (Makes sense? I dunno)
To make a long story short, according to the Document check list, it looks like I should get the medical now, but according to the Doctor it sounds like I should wait. So when to get it??? I am so very confused.

Please help

Lyx

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
Ok, I'm not sure how helpful this will be but I'll take a stab at it.

Since you live in denmark I'm assuming you are applying outland - meaning that the visa office which is going to process your application is NOT located in Canada.

Assuming this is the case then the time frame is as follows - If you are applying inland (Canada will process everything then ignore the info below):

You mail the completed application to mississauga - they review it to make sure it is complete and that your husband is eligible to sponsor you. This takes about a month (right now the CIC website says it take 36 days).

Once your husband has been approved to sponsor you (and assuming your application was complete) they will then forward the application onto which every visa office is processing you. The visa office then looks at the application - this can take anywhere from several months to over a year - depending on the office.

My understanding is that the Visa Office outside of Canada holds onto your medicals, and they wait until they get your application from mississauga and then match everything up.

The medical may expire before you get your visa (they last for a year) - if this is the case the visa office will ask you to redo them.

If in doubt you can always call/email the visa office that will process your application and see what they have to say.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Hi Lyx

As I understood it, medical results are submitted to a regional medical centre (in you case in london). When the visa office is processing your application they will ask for the report (not all the results) from the medical centre. So yes, the process is for you to do the medical in advance and include the form that your doctor gives you with your application.

Good luck

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Hi Allie, Almost!

When you have your medical taken they give you a document in which you must include with your application. The doctor sends the medical results to Ottawa and when your application begins processing the immigration office (for Denmark it is London UK) requests it from London and is couriered from Ottawa to the London office at that time.

Your doctor speaks to 9 months as the current processing time for 80% of applications through London is 9 months however most straightforward cases are completed much sooner than that. I hopes this helps :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The form is - Medical report section A IMM1017, make sure you get it from the doctor after the medical (if not it can be a real pain).
Also, don't lose it, DMP's don't normally issue copies.

MarkGuy

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
waitingintz said:
Hi Lyx

As I understood it, medical results are submitted to a regional medical centre (in you case in london). When the visa office is processing your application they will ask for the report (not all the results) from the medical centre. So yes, the process is for you to do the medical in advance and include the form that your doctor gives you with your application.

Good luck
This is what I was told here as well. It seems to make sense.

MarkGuy

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
patiently_waiting said:
Hi Allie, Almost!

When you have your medical taken they give you a document in which you must include with your application. The doctor sends the medical results to Ottawa and when your application begins processing the immigration office (for Denmark it is London UK) requests it from London and is couriered from Ottawa to the London office at that time.

Your doctor speaks to 9 months as the current processing time for 80% of applications through London is 9 months however most straightforward cases are completed much sooner than that. I hopes this helps :)
PW, this is news to me!
I was told here a few weeks ago that all medicals that are done outside of Canada are sent to the regional medical office in the city/country where the exam took place.

I was told they sit there until such time that the Embassy that is processing the application makes a request for them, and then are forwarded to the Embassy.

This is the first I have heard of Ottawa entering into the picture.
I hope someone could set the record straight here, because these are two completely different procedures.

Ottawa vs. the regional medical office in the city/country.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MarkGuy said:
PW, this is news to me!
I was told here a few weeks ago that all medicals that are done outside of Canada are sent to the regional medical office in the city/country where the exam took place.

I was told they sit there until such time that the Embassy that is processing the application makes a request for them, and then are forwarded to the Embassy.

This is the first I have heard of Ottawa entering into the picture.
I hope someone could set the record straight here, because these are two completely different procedures.

Ottawa vs. the regional medical office in the city/country.
From the DMP Handbook

Regional medical office locations

All immigration medical exam documents are sent to the regional medical office in the DMP’s area. The regional medical office will then transfer the information to the appropriate immigration office either in North America or overseas.

* For example, a DMP in Montréal would send the medical report for an applicant applying from China to the Ottawa regional medical office, which would then send the medical report to the Beijing immigration office, where the application is being processed.

MarkGuy

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
PMM said:
From the DMP Handbook

... All immigration medical exam documents are sent to the regional medical office in the DMP's area. The regional medical office will then transfer the information to the appropriate immigration office either in North America or overseas.

* For example, a DMP in Montréal would send the medical report for an applicant applying from China to the Ottawa regional medical office, which would then send the medical report to the Beijing immigration office, where the application is being processed.
Wa.................it a second!
First off, is the " * " something you added, or is it taken from the DMP handbook as well?

Things were quite clear until you added the * line.

Why would an applicant applying from China have his DMP in Montreal???
The only situation I can think of is an inland-outland application.
The applicant is in Canada and applying outland. They get their meds done in Montreal, if they are living there. The DMP sends the meds to the regional medical office (presumably in Ottawa) and they sit there.

Only when the Embassy in China is good and ready, will they make a request for the meds. The meds won't be sent to China until the Embassy makes the request.

Apart from an inland-outland situation, is there any other time when the meds would be done in Montreal, or any other Canadian city and sent to Ottawa (Canada's regional medical office)?

Wouldn't all outland-outland applications be sent to the regional medical office of the foreign country where they would sit?

I'm curious to know why you gave what seems to be an inland-outland example?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As an example:

I am a Brit, but when visiting Canada I took my medical and then returned to the UK.
My visa office is London UK, but my medical results went to Ottawa.
When London, UK wants my medical results they will contact Ottawa.

At this point I was outland outland.

As an aside, later in the process I moved to Canada, confusingly - to Ottawa

So now I am "inland outland" as you put it :)

MarkGuy

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
Baloo said:
As an example:

I am a Brit, but when visiting Canada I took my medical and then returned to the UK.
My visa office is London UK, but my medical results went to Ottawa.
When London, UK wants my medical results they will contact Ottawa.

At this point I was outland outland.

As an aside, later in the process I moved to Canada, confusingly - to Ottawa

So now I am "inland outland" as you put it :)
Thanks Baloo!
First off I must say that I did not coin "inland-outland".
I heard others use it and started using it myself.
It's easy to understand, once you get the gist of it.

I think your personal example is not the most common one Baloo, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Off the top of my head I would guess that the most common is outland-outland with the meds done outland.

Next would be inland-outland and inland-inland (with meds done inland in both cases).

But I'd still like to hear back from PMM and hear how he responds to my reply.

He was making it sound like sending the meds to Ottawa is par for the course for outland-outland applications.
To me, it would seem like sending them to Ottawa for an outland-outland application is the exception, rather than the rule.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarkGuy,

I was the one who gave you the original information about the RMO and it seems that I left things out that have confused you. I should have pointed out that the DMP sends the medicals to the RMO closest to the DMP. I was making an assumption that the applicant was in their home country and therefore the medical gets sent to the RMO processing applications for that visa post. Sorry, I should know better than to make assumptions! All of the RMO's have centralized/computerized processing so it really doesn't matter which RMO gets the meds, as long as the visa post knows where to request them from. The medical receipt you submit with the application says where the medical was done and the VO will know from that which RMO has the results.

All of the information I gave was correct but I should have explained that point more fully.

The ONLY time the medicals would be sent to Ottawa would be when the medicals were done at a DMP where Ottawa was the RMO. There is no other instance. CIC does not require medicals be done at a specific DMP, only that they are done at a DMP anywhere in the world.

I don't like the inland-outland/outland-outland terminology because it's kinda confusing! Just me and my tired brain. :p Inland is more often used for IN-CANADA class applications and outland for those processed overseas. But I know what you are saying. But the bottom line is that the medicals can be performed at any DMP in the world. A couple could be on their honeymoon in a third country and get their medicals done at the DMP there if they chose to.

MarkGuy

Star Member
Dec 28, 2009
rjessome said:
MarkGuy,

I was the one who gave you the original information about the RMO and it seems that I left things out that have confused you. I should have pointed out that the DMP sends the medicals to the RMO closest to the DMP....

The ONLY time the medicals would be sent to Ottawa would be when the medicals were done at a DMP where Ottawa was the RMO. There is no other instance. CIC does not require medicals be done at a specific DMP, only that they are done at a DMP anywhere in the world.
Actually RJ you didn't confuse me!
patiently_waiting and PMM confused me though.

The OP wasn't talking about Ottawa at all or a DMP in Canada, yet PW started to talk about Ottawa as an RMO station (which certainly confused me).
Then PMM continued to talk about Ottawa as an RMO station adding a new twist, an application where the home country was China and no indication why it was going Montreal to Ottawa.

I don't like the inland-outland/outland-outland terminology because it's kinda confusing! Just me and my tired brain. :p Inland is more often used for IN-CANADA class applications and outland for those processed overseas. But I know what you are saying...
Yes Inland is more often used for IN-Canada apps, but there a sizable number of application where the applicant is living in Canada and applying Outland.
For that, Inland-Outland makes me quickly understand what's going on.
The first term indicates where the applicant is, the second, where the processing takes place.
So you can have Inland-Inland, Inland-Outland, and Outland-Outland.
I don't think you can have Outland-Inland, but perhaps I'm wrong. :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarkGuy said:
The first term indicates where the applicant is, the second, where the processing takes place.
So you can have Inland-Inland, Inland-Outland, and Outland-Outland.
I don't think you can have Outland-Inland, but perhaps I'm wrong. :)
You can, but if CIC find out they are likely to cancel your application.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
sorry for reopening this discussion but the situation is still blurry for me (it was clear until i actually called DMPs to make an appointment ???)

we'll do the medicals in UAE (Dubai or Abu-Dhabi) and the visa office to process will be Abu-Dhabi; from what i understand that's the visa office we should write when we complete the medical form?

but the DMP lady told me that they will send the results to London (sooo far :eek:) and she does not know what i should write for the visa office; so i guess the center which collects all the results is in London and they will send it back to Abu-Dhabi visa office when requested...am i right?

on a side note, i'm just wondering abt one more thing; if i'm not found eligible to sponsor and we re-apply again in let's say 2 months time do we need to do new medicals even if the ones we did before r still valid? (hope not since doing X-Ray every few months is not that healthy :( )