+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam required but Visa already issued?

et3rn1ty

Mar 23, 2014
Hi all,

My friend (South Korea National) applied for a visitor visa extension. She first arrived here in October last year.

1. Generally, when CIC requests a medical exam for people who wish to stay for longer than 6 months, does the 6 month period start from the first day you arrived here(in her case, in October) or from the day your visitor visa/stamp on your passport expires (i.e. early March when she applied for an extension)?
The reason why I asked is because she just received her new visitor visa but it's only valid for another three months (end of July) eventhough the request is for 6 months. However, at the bottom, there is a note that she has to take a medical exam within 60 days.
When she applied, we have included her itinerary, proof of funds and all of the other required documents but curious why she didn't get the full 6 months she requested.
When we completed the online checklist for her, it didn't include a medical exam because she would like to stay here until September (less than 6 months from the day she applied for an extension).

2. Why would they request a medical exam if they are giving her just a two month extension? They won't issue another visitor visa for her after she completes the medical exam, will they?