+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May have to deliver baby without insurance in Vancouver!!

jrxstyper

Jan 1, 2015
Hello folks.
I live in Korea and got a job in Vanouver.
My wife is a pregnant and she is due in July.
I start work in June and the employer says insurance is valid after 90 days of wating period.

1) In That case, Will I have to pay all the medical fees? If so, What would the cost be like? She might need C section due to her family history.
2) Is it possible to get refund later when the insurance becomes valid? Or is therer any other way like using private insurance company?
Any alternatives?
3) Also, Will the baby be a Canadian citizen or Korean?
Thank you guys!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jrxstyper said:
Hello folks.
I live in Korea and got a job in Vanouver.
My wife is a pregnant and she is due in July.
I start work in June and the employer says insurance is valid after 90 days of wating period.

1) In That case, Will I have to pay all the medical fees? If so, What would the cost be like? She might need C section due to her family history.
2) Is it possible to get refund later when the insurance becomes valid? Or is therer any other way like using private insurance company?
Any alternatives?
3) Also, Will the baby be a Canadian citizen or Korean?
Thank you guys!
1) Yes, with a c-section, the cost might be between $5,000 and 10,000, probably closer to 10.
2) No, a 3 month waiting period means you are not covered for 3 months. You can not get a refund for services used in the 3 months later on. You can not get insurance that covers child birth when your wife is already pregnant. An alternative would be for your wife to have the baby in Korea where I guess she is covered and then join you later.
3) If the baby is born in Canada, it will be a Canadian citizen. Because you are Korean, it might be Korean too. I do not know if Korea allows dual.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jrxstyper said:
Actually in BC the waiting period is remainder of month you arrive, plus 2 additional months. So if you arrive to Canada on any day in June, BC healthcare would begin September 1. Although that still doesn't help you for a July delivery.

If you could arrive in BC on April 30, then you would have healthcare starting July 1 and possibly in time for a delivery.

Note also should check the airlines policy on pregnant women flying. There is usually a maximum time in the pregnancy, after which she is not allowed to fly. If she is due in July, they may not allow her to fly in June.

Leon said:
3) If the baby is born in Canada, it will be a Canadian citizen. Because you are Korean, it might be Korean too. I do not know if Korea allows dual.
Korea does allow dual citizenship for children. So if born in Canada child would have Canadian citizenship, then parents could apply for Korean as well.

When the child turns 18, then they need to decide if they want Canadian or Korean citizenship as after that age Korea does not allow dual.

jrxstyper said:
I have another question. Is C section elective in Vancouver?
Upon arrival in BC you should immediately research the offices of a midwife in your area, and see if any are available for you. Their basic services are free to help with pregnancy (except hospital costs), even if you don't have healthcare yet.

As for c-section, I believe that yes it is elective if you want it. Just keep in mind the high price if you do at a hospital.
Also even if you wanted to do a natural birth, if a doctor feels it would be too risky they would basically force you to do a c-section anyways.

You should really consider having baby in Korea where the delivery will be much cheaper and mom will have more friends/family around for support. Keep in mind also there are no postpartum care centres (산후조리원) in Canada which are quite common in Korea, to care for mom and baby after delivery!

If baby is born in Korea, mom and baby can travel to Canada when they are ready, to then be with you. Both mom and baby can then get private travel insurance to cover themselves for first 3 months in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jrxstyper said:
Does somone know which hospitals are best known for delivery? especially the C-section?
C-sections are pretty basic procedures in most cases, so all hospitals will be around the same.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
jrxstyper said:
Does somone know which hospitals are best known for delivery? especially the C-section?
As someone said its basic/generic procedure everywhere, but Burnaby Hospital and Vancouver General Hospital are 2 of the larger establishments. Royal Columbian and Surrey Memorial are reputable too. Depends on where you will be and what will be easier for you.