+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters to PhD - Permit Extension or New Study Permit?

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hello,

I arrived in Canada in Fall 2018 and have done well in my masters so far: 3.9 GPA and successfully published a few papers. I will be graduating in September 2020 with a Master's degree and would like to continue my education and attain a PhD. My worry/concern is as follows: PhD application deadlines are almost over for a lot of schools. I can either submit a subpar application or wait 4 months and submit for the next intake (January 2021). This 4 month wait will mean that once I graduate in September 2020, I will not be studying while in Canada. Instead, I will be waiting for my PhD to start in January 2021.

I will know if my PhD applications have been successful by August whereas study permit will expire in Nov/Dec 2020. If there is a gap of 4 months between graduation and beginning my next journey, can I still apply for a study permit extension or do I need to go back to my home country and apply for a study permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I arrived in Canada in Fall 2018 and have done well in my masters so far: 3.9 GPA and successfully published a few papers. I will be graduating in September 2020 with a Master's degree and would like to continue my education and attain a PhD. My worry/concern is as follows: PhD application deadlines are almost over for a lot of schools. I can either submit a subpar application or wait 4 months and submit for the next intake (January 2021). This 4 month wait will mean that once I graduate in September 2020, I will not be studying while in Canada. Instead, I will be waiting for my PhD to start in January 2021.

I will know if my PhD applications have been successful by August whereas study permit will expire in Nov/Dec 2020. If there is a gap of 4 months between graduation and beginning my next journey, can I still apply for a study permit extension or do I need to go back to my home country and apply for a study permit?
When will you know if you get admission for January 2021 intake?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Probably August or September.
You can apply for an extension within Canada once you have been accepted to a new program. You can also work in between, assuming you meet all of the conditions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution

Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution

nimzyy

Aug 4, 2021
Hi, I have a study permit for my MSc and planning to apply for a PhD. I have the same problem, besides, my husband has a open work permit.

I understand I can work full time until my PhD starts as long as I satisfies the requirements. My worry is my husband's work permit. What would happen to his permit? Does he has to go back to our home country?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!