no Back logs
8.5 CGPA
IELTS 7

Share is it good for go for masters or diploma for my september 2016 intake

tell me province ,college or university to do masters or diploma

Replies

swetha.vutlapalli

Oct 6, 2015
how is Centennial mechanical engineering -design advance diploma co-op for 2 years,

is it worth for my future,

moving from B.Tech to Diploma has any affect on future.(Jobs,PR)

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have a very good GPA and IELTS is good enough to secure an acceptance. You can try the top universities Toronto, UBC, Waterloo, Alberta. There is very high chances of acceptance.

I would suggest you to take a masters as it can help you in justifying your need to come to canada for higher studies also, it guarantees you a PR as you get 3 yrs PGWP.

A 1 year diploma is not the right thing to do with your GPA as you can get research masters (MaSc) from university which will cost you least 30~40% lesser than what you will spend on a diploma.

Also since you are from mechanical engineering there is another advantage of masters, which is the engineer's license. This is applicable only for Civil, mechanical engineers. This license is required to get jobs as mechanical engineers. All companies prefer people with this license. You need not start at entry level positions if you have this.

You will be automatically awarded this license if you graduate with a university masters, you won't get this in a diploma.

So in terms of cost, securing a PR and jobs.. a masters can give you the best opportunities.

All the best

roohbir

Star Member
Jul 16, 2015
Chandigarh, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Swetha,
Kartz is right. You Dont even need to think about a diploma. You can easily try for the following universities:
1. University of Alberta
2. University of British Columbia
3. McGill University
4. Waterloo University
5. University of Manitoba
Depending on where you want to study(province), apply accordingly.

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have applied for MEng industrial engineering Jan 2016 intake.

Meng and Masc depends on your interests. Generally for MaSc they look for research interests, you must have published journal papers and carried out research beyond academics. If you have journal publications and interested in doing research in a specific domain got for MSc.. The important thing is, you must decide which area/domain you want to work in your future if you have to apply for MSc.. Also for MSc you must get a professor's approval to be your supervisor. For this you have to go the university website and the department faculty page and identify professors who have the same interest as your domain, you have to email them telling about your interests and how you can help their research. If they like your interests they will send an informal acceptance to be you supervisor. You can mention the professor's name in your application when you officially apply.

Meng is straight forward, most universities don't need a supervisor for this. Just apply to the course you like.

Province! for mechanical engg in terms of jobs Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver are the best places to go, they are ever green in terms of jobs. There are lot of companies specially automotive and aerospace here they are like the major cities, getting jobs, internships, part time jobs are relatively easier.

If you want to enter the petroleum and natural gas sector, Alberta is the only place you should go. I would rank Alberta as the number province for mech engineers, but currently there is a major economic crisis happening in the oil sector lots of jobs lost, oil fields shutdown. So currently Alberta is not the right place to be, but keep an eye on it if you are interested in entering oil and gas domain.

Go for Toronto (UoT), Montreal (McGill), Vancouver (UBC), Alberta (UoA) in this preference order.

AABH

Sep 8, 2013
kartz said:
You have a very good GPA and IELTS is good enough to secure an acceptance. You can try the top universities Toronto, UBC, Waterloo, Alberta. There is very high chances of acceptance.

I would suggest you to take a masters as it can help you in justifying your need to come to canada for higher studies also, it guarantees you a PR as you get 3 yrs PGWP.

A 1 year diploma is not the right thing to do with your GPA as you can get research masters (MaSc) from university which will cost you least 30~40% lesser than what you will spend on a diploma.

Also since you are from mechanical engineering there is another advantage of masters, which is the engineer's license. This is applicable only for Civil, mechanical engineers. This license is required to get jobs as mechanical engineers. All companies prefer people with this license. You need not start at entry level positions if you have this.

You will be automatically awarded this license if you graduate with a university masters, you won't get this in a diploma.

So in terms of cost, securing a PR and jobs.. a masters can give you the best opportunities.

All the best
can you tell me what is " the engineer's license " you talk about ? please
I'm doing MEng in mechanical engineering in University of Calgary

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
AABH said:
can you tell me what is " the engineer's license " you talk about ? please
I'm doing MEng in mechanical engineering in University of Calgary
i dont know what license he is talking about my guess is PEngg but that u do not get automatically.

swetha.vutlapalli

Oct 6, 2015
Hi Kartz,

Is M.Eng had bright future(Job,PR)

My consultant told its hard to get admission in manitoba,alberta, they are suggesting to move towards windsor,ottawa,carlton

could tell is it right time for me to apply fro Sep 2016 intake,

provide me also Course Fee details.if possible

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What i meant was with a masters degree you don't have to write any exams to get the license, you apply for it its granted since you have a canadian masters

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
swetha.vutlapalli said:
Hi Kartz,

Is M.Eng had bright future(Job,PR)

My consultant told its hard to get admission in manitoba,alberta, they are suggesting to move towards windsor,ottawa,carlton

could tell is it right time for me to apply fro Sep 2016 intake,

provide me also Course Fee details.if possible
Windsor, Ottawa, Carleton are pretty expensive the fees is 32k Cad only the fees without living costs. Frankly 8.5 GPA is very good i would suggest you not to go to consultancy. Its very easy and simple to apply to universities in canada. Any problem you can email the universities they will respond and give you solutions on time.

In terms of jobs, both are equally good, MaSc gives you a research background, where as in MEng you can do internships, co-op jobs etc.

This is my personal opinion that MEng gives you an opportunity to do co-op jobs, internships which obviously gives you an opportunity to network with companies where you can get employed. Hence, Meng to me is better. Also Meng is usually preferred by ppl with work experience as there is no need to submit a thesis.

But if you are on a tight budget go for MSc as it costs much lesser than MEng if you get scholarships/funding.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
kartz said:
What i meant was with a masters degree you don't have to write any exams to get the license, you apply for it its granted since you have a canadian masters
Yes u need to take the exam how ever due to masters from canada u fulfill the education requirement which is good. And I agree with ur point that Masters is always better for many reasons
PEng license requirements for Ontario may differ in other provinces

" be at least 18 years old;
be of good character;
meet PEO's stipulated academic requirements for licensure (hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualifications), and, if required, successfully complete any technical exams.
fulfill the engineering work experience requirements (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer); and
successfully complete PEO’s Professional Practice Examination (PPE)."

http://www.peo.on.ca/index.php/ci_id/2057/la_id/1.htm

swetha.vutlapalli

Oct 6, 2015
Hi,

Is Professor approval is tat hard to get for MSc ,

Suggest Universities with fee range less to Rs.10 lakh per annum.

either MSC or MENG